Jet 1236PS switch issues

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Awonder

Jet 1236PS switch issues

Post by Awonder »

Brand new member here. Hoping to get some input and maybe learn a few things.
I am going Monday to look at a Jet 1236PS with all its accessories the only caveat is that one of the rotary farnas switches is bad and it needs replacing according to the guy that selling it. The lathe can be run as it is now so I can try everything out.
The guy wants $1000 for it and like I stated it has the steady rest, (2) 3 jaw chucks, a 4 jaw, and the quick change tool post.
Does anyone on here think its worth the $1000?
I was wanting to use it to thread barrels and chamber rifles and do other gunsmith operations with it.
I took every machining class at the local community college so am pretty familiar with mill/lathe operations.
That said I still have a lot to learn.
Attachments
lathe1.jpg
lathe2.jpg
lathe3.jpg
lathe4.jpg
John Evans

Re: Jet 1236PS switch issues

Post by John Evans »

If it works OK a grand sounds reasonable ,a lot depends on your location. some areas a smoking deal others a fair price. Looks like a typical Chinese/Taiwan belt head/threaded chuck mount lathe. Been around a few of them and usually decent machines.
www.chaski.com
Awonder

Post by Awonder »

I am located in central Va
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

A nice solid machine especially with the quick change tool post. Just the tool post and a few tool holders can become a big investment if purchased separately. Had one for almost 30 years and the only dislike was the low speed for the spindle of only 80 RPM which can be an issue with thread cutting. One has to work fast at that speed. I made a new heavier clamping plate to go under the tailstock and increase the contact with the ways by over 50% which helped to reduce vibration significantly. Only wish I had done it much sooner.
Awonder

Post by Awonder »

The low speed on this one says 60 so that should be better. Thanks for all the replies.
Awonder

Post by Awonder »

Does anyone think the wiring should be an issue? It’s should not be that complicated I would think.
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

My lathe also had 60 RPM on the speed plate. Was suspicious and checked all speeds with a tachometer. Learned real fast not to trust the speed indicator plate of any imported lathe at that moment. What is printed and what actually happens are not the same.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Yes the speed plate on my import is not correct, the first 3 low speeds correspond to 50 Hz and the last 6 speeds are correct at 60 Hz.
Disappointing.
Awonder

Post by Awonder »

I think a variable speed drive may be the way to go.
ekim

Post by ekim »

I agree with that last post.
A broken switch is opportunity knocking to get a replacement motor and variable frequency drive.
I did that conversion on my machines, and like others have said - I wish I'd done it sooner.
You have the advantage that the motor drives a Vee belt which makes it an easy replacement.
The money you don't spend on getting the lathe will be well spent on the upgraded drive
Awonder

Post by Awonder »

Really appreciate all the responses here. If i do get it I will need advice on getting a VFD motor set up.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

A search of this discussion board will likely reveal the info you seek on variable frequency drives.
RussN