4 Jaw Scroll Chucks

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Santafescotty60

4 Jaw Scroll Chucks

Post by Santafescotty60 »

Hello good People.
I have collets and chucks for my Shelden 11" lathe and decided to try my hand with a new 4 jaw scroll chuck all the jaws move like a 3 jaw chuck . Made in China because I have a family that likes a roof over their heads and food on the table, :lol: which is the only benefit out of economy chuck. You know the quality doesn't go in before the name goes on, I have to use a .002 shim to spin at .0015 run out on one jaw the chuck body itself is true and plumb to that .0015 so just to pass some knowledge on.For the $250 plus I paid that shim will do just fine I am not interested in re mounting the chuck spending half a day reinventing the wheel.
Thanks For reading Scotty
pete

Re: 4 Jaw Scroll Chucks

Post by pete »

Fwiw the problem may not totally be the chucks fault. I've got a pretty decent Emco made 4 jaw scroll chuck that's quite accurate. And even with cold roll square stock it will sometimes need a shim. While I've not read it specifically said about 4 jaw scroll chucks, I'm fairly sure there meant mostly as a second operation chuck for work that's already been machined true. Even cold roll square stock right from the mills isn't always held to close enough tolerances so that the jaws get a proper grip on all 4 sides at the exact same time. And the tighter and better made the chuck is the closer the stock has to measure square for all the jaws to grip the same amount on all 4 sides. Had I understood that before I ordered mine I probably wouldn't have bought it. Yes it's handy, but unless you do a whole lot of square part chucking the more common independent 4 jaw will do the same job and more with a bit of time for indicating.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

When I still was under that spell many of you know as "I can't live without that tool" I accumulated a 1/2 a dozen chucks plus an expensive Bison 5C collet chuck.
After refining a technique to center stock in a 4 independent jaws chuck the larger 6" chuck stays on the spindle 99% of the time.
The only reason to change to a scroll chuck would be if I have to do non critical turning on 100 pieces, than it would be worth to swap chuck.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

For gripping square stock, a two jaw chuck is preferred, as it will grip four sides evenly. There's no way in hell that a four jaw scroll chuck can grip material on all sides. If for no other reason, error in the scroll. That's why three jaw scroll chucks are so common. They will always load evenly, unlike a four jaw.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

This reminds me of the Westscotts geared scroll four jaw chucks I saw at the Rough and Tumble shop in Kinzers Pa. Neat chuck, all four jaws ride on a scroll like a three jaw. The base they mount on has an additional scroll like an independent four jaw.
Attachments
A576591A-A4E0-4197-B72E-BFA70A4239CE.jpeg
Santafescotty60

Post by Santafescotty60 »

Thanks Good People .
I still like my 4 jaw scroll for spinning anything LOL.
Just saying to check your chucks every once in a while ,I got what I paid for I'm Good....