Craftsman Lathe Motor Size????

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ih1466

Craftsman Lathe Motor Size????

Post by ih1466 »

Hi,
I have an old Craftsman 12x36 lathe #101.27440 that has a 1/2 hp. motor on it that is not the original motor. How big of a motor can this lathe take? How big has anybody put on one? I would think a 1hp. would be fine. Is a 1.5hp. too big? I would like to get a bigger lathe, but don't have the money right now.
1MetalMan

Re: Craftsman Lathe Motor Size????

Post by 1MetalMan »

I've had a number of those Craftsman lathes over the years. They are considered a lite-duty lathe. Most of the gears are made of a type of pot metal and are not very strong. Same goes for the QC (if you have one). I highly recommend you limit the maximum hp to 1/2, or you will end up breaking something for sure!
Regis
"It the sand in your shoe, not the mountian ahead, that will wear you down"
Victor_R

Post by Victor_R »

Hello?

While not totally familiar with your lathe, I think a 1 horse motor would be OK for the low side. Most lathes of this size are sold today with 1&1/2 HP motors. It's also a matter of what will conveniently fit physically, what you will be cutting on it and how much you want to spend. I think much over this is unnecessary. I'd use a 1725 RPM single phase running on 240V.

Check to see what type of frame mount you need (nema 56H or 66 etc.) If your motor is outside (behind) then you will want a totally-enclosed-fan-cooled type (TEFC) to keep from getting chips inside it. If it's below and enclosed, then an open-drip-proof will do and is a little cheaper style frame. You also have a choice of rigid or resilient mounting. Most lathes come with rigid, I think.

I do have a South Bend 9 inch that originally came with a 1/2 horse 3 phase motor. I replaced that with a 3/4 horse single phase (rigid) running at 240V and have never needed more.

Victor

PS: Regis above seems more familiar with it, so I'd go with his advice.
"The machines are gaining ground upon us; day by day we are becoming more subservient to them" ~ Samuel Butler (1863)
Matt_Isserstedt

Post by Matt_Isserstedt »

I've got to agree. The OEM catalog I have from the 50s is not close at hand but I recall 1/3 hp was the low end and 1/2 hp was the top end.

3/4hp would be a honkin' motor. I think the rigidity will give out before you can use even that much hp based on my personal experience.

Now, if you are looking to upgrade, my personal recommendation is for the Clausing 5900 products. 2hp, rigid, 5C capable and hard ways. Instant reversing without the chuck falling off. Real powerfeed (not using the half-nuts). Quick-clamp tailstock. Inserted carbides will sing thru cold rolled steel all day long.

Since I got my Clausing, I just look at the Atlas. The Atlas was a good learner at a price I could afford but a "step up" will make you appreciate a more rigid machine IMHO.

Good luck.
Jim_King

Post by Jim_King »

Have the same lathe and put a 2hp 3ph motor on it with a vfd.Its like a different machine.I still wouldnt try to hog material off but the variable speed and brake are sweet.It really makes it fun to run.
jan3

Post by jan3 »

Regis The pot metal you refer to is Zamac which is formed in a mold under tons of pressure.The material is just one of the Craftsman lathe line ups weak points.I was running a 12" this weekend and was extremely disappointed in the performance.It did not feel much more rigid than my little 6"
doogdoog

Post by doogdoog »

Aloha, I have a Craftsman 12x36 made by Atlas and the 1hp motor works just fine.

Mahalo,
Howard
nitearc

Post by nitearc »

I had a 12" Craftsman lathe that I got with a bad motor, and I used it for a few years with a 3 ph 3/4 hp motor, as that was all I had at the time, and it worked just fine without breaking anything.
Mike
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Anything will work if you are careful, but a big motor can about wrap a Craftsman lathe up ina ball. The 12" looks like a 10" with extensions.

Whatever you want, but I think you can do well with a 1/2 HP.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

I have had two Atlas lates, a 10" and a 12", which had 1/2 and 3/4 hp motors respectively and I never wanted for power for the work that I did - large scale (7+ga) steam engines. I agree with the comments on the ability of the Zamak gears to endure much more than 3/4hp but one thing hasn't been mentioned. The 1/2hp motor, if quick reversed, won't entirely spin the chuck off the spindle before you can catch it, meaning stop the motor. But a 3/4 or 1hp would reverse and get back up to speed so quickly you would spin the chuck off before you could stop it.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN