lathe chuck

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

McD

lathe chuck

Post by McD »

I have been looking for a independent 4 jaw chuck for a friends lathe that I use. New ones are more then I want to spend. The spindle thread is 1 3/4" 8tpi.
There seems to be lots of 1 1/2" on ebay. I was thinking of getting a used 6" chuck it in the 8" he has on it and thread it to fit. Is this a resonable idea?
Or would it be better to get one like this new ?
ebay chuck
dkinzer

Re: lathe chuck

Post by dkinzer »

My Ellis dividing head has a 1 3/4 - 8 spindle, too. I've been looking for backplates, faceplates and chucks for it on eBay for well over a year and a half now and have seen very, very few. It seems that this size is much less common than the 1 1/2-8 and 2 1/4-8 sizes.

I ended up buying a flat back Bison chuck and made a backplate out of scrap stock to fit it and the spindle.
Don
Dick_Payne

Post by Dick_Payne »

McD:
I bought a 6"- 4 jaw from JTS on Ebay (buy it now price) for $45 about a year ago.
It was great for the price (made in China).

Victor Machinery Exchange (www.victornet.com) has a 6" rough back plate for $12.50 that you could
machine to fit a 6" chuck. They also sell threaded rough back plates but do not
list a 1 3/4" one.
Regards:
Dick
fredwhite

Post by fredwhite »

My latest list of items for sale by Plaza Machinery shows a 5" 1 3/4 by 8 used backplate for $40 if that would do you any good ( Page 20, Backplates - Item 22 ). I have no financial relationship with this company, but I do highly recommend them from a customer perspective!

Contact the owner - Joe B.

PLAZA@innevi.com

Plaza Machinery
P.O. Box 14
Back River Road
Bethel, VT 05032

Phone 802-234-9673
Fax 802-234-6325
Phone Hours--9:00 a.m to 4:30 p.m. EST
Monday through Wednesday
Fax always open