Lathe Quick-Change Toolpost

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

WRS

Lathe Quick-Change Toolpost

Post by WRS »

I just bought a 14" x 40" lathe the came with a regular 4-way tool post. I am considering buying a quickchange toolpost but don't know for sure what size to get. Most catalogs are listing 200, 300, or 400 series toolposts as fitting the 14" lathe. That seems like a heck of a range and want to ask your reccomendations on what I should consider when picking the size.

Thanks,
WRS
Doug_C

Re: Lathe Quick-Change Toolpost

Post by Doug_C »

Most 14" lathes will use the 200 series(Phase II) or BXA(Aloris) size sets. The 300 series or CXA tend to be rather large on some 14" lathes. I use the Wedge type Phase II 200 series on my Jet 1440 which will also accept Aloris BXA holders. It is functional, but it isn't an Aloris by any means. Kind of sloppy on fit of the actuator locking mechanism and the tool holders are rather short as with most chi-com import sets. I cannot complain to much for $200 for the 5pc set.

I wouldn't consider a piston type on anything over 12" and even that can be questionable. Not all holders interchange with the piston type as well.

DC
dgoddard

Re: Lathe Quick-Change Toolpost

Post by dgoddard »

I concur on the 200 series for a 14 inch lathe. I have a 12 inch lathe with a 200 and it is almost too large to get the tool low enough sometimes. I suspect that the 300 would have the same problem on the 14 inch lathe, maybe worse.

I would also concur on going with the wedge type. My 12 inch has the piston type and the wedge would be more rigid, though for my 12 inch lathe the piston is adequate and I like it far better than the post that was on it.

The only time the tool holder has been too short is the cut off tool in which the block does not stick out far enough to clear the workside dovetail, so the cut off blade has to be extended the extra distance which makes it more prone to breakage. I solved that problem by getting some 5/8 tool bits and grinding my own very rigid cut off tools on them. Then I got a band saw and use it to cut off the big stuff and face it afterwards.