Way covers?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Way covers?

Post by BadDog »

How many of you guys use way covers on either the lathe or the mill? Seems to me most of these machines do not run them in production, at least not in most shops I've seen, and they get used a LOT more than my home shop. So why then should we spend $50+ for covers in the home shop? Yes, there is the obvious "keep the junk off the ways to prevent wear, but again, is it that big a deal? It also seems that the covers could cause new problems making it more difficult ot lube the ways, spot condensation problems, etc., not to mention being in the way.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I've run mills both with and without way covers. Given a choice, I'd take the covers anytime. It's a lot easier to keep the ways clean, and cleaning up at the end of a shift is much easier, too. They're also very good at keeping dust from settling on the ways of infrequently used machines. None of the problems you mentioned have ever been a reality near as I can tell. Do keep in mind that one shot lube was on the machines in question, so oiling wasn't an issue.

I vote for way covers, at least on a mill. It's a lot harder on a lathe, although my Graziano came with them. It is my opinion that the ways will have a considerably increased lifespan as a result. Hard to tell-----I've had the machine for only 39 years. :lol:

Harold
Bill Shields

Covers

Post by Bill Shields »

My CNC Bridgeport as covers - were on them when I got it..and I have no reason to take them off....good protection.

My Wells-Index does not...and I see no reason to put them on.

None of my lathes have covers.

One thing to consider....if you have covers...

If you use water based coolant (such as in a spray mister), it wouldn't be a bad idea to look UNDER the covers periodically to see what is going on.

Ever notice a bit of rust around your vise if you use a mister?

Imagine that under the covers for months..or YEARS...if you don't look from time to time...the ways SHOULD be OK, but then there are areas where they might not get wiped / oiled by frequent contact (like the far ends)...and some water may get in under there.....