Any Ideas on the value of this atlas lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Diesel II

Any Ideas on the value of this atlas lathe

Post by Diesel II »

This is for sale at an auction tomarrow. I was thinking about taking the day off of work or sending my wife to go bid on it. How Much?
Attachments
atlas.jpg
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Well, as it sits with no visible tooling and it looks pretty clean, with quick change gear box, could be a 10" could be an older 12" $500+? Hard to see if it has TIMKEN headstock bearings. Sometimes there was a decal that was plastered on the machine stating so.
My .02 FWIW
Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
J Tiers

Post by J Tiers »

Machines with NO tooling are cheap, or should be.....

Like $300, average condition. QC adds about $100 or $150, so maybe $400.

A couple decent chucks and a steady, maybe live center, would start to boost that to the $600 range, and a lot of tooling could get higher, if it had collets, taper, milling attachment, nice toolpost etc.

But bare....... its a money pit even before you start.

Without knowing condition, could be as low as $150 (no kidding) if beat on despite paint.

At an auction, probably it will go for $750, bare...... good for the seller, bad for you.

However, you never know, and if your scrounging skills are good, you might outfit a bare machine for less than it seems.

If you are in Alaska, just double everything I said.
Diesel II

Post by Diesel II »

At the same acution they also have these machinist chest so I was hoping to pick up tooling with the lathe. But it is an auction and who knows?
It sounds like the atlas lathes with the timpken spindle brgs are the ones to have so I will look and see if it has them. It is advertised as a 5" x 32" But I think it is a 9 or 10". I will send the wife to the auction after all it is fathers day. One late gift would be fine with me.
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

"If you are in Alaska, just double everything I said. "
Or the midwest.
Jim
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

My take on it is if the bed is in good condition (not worn out) the lathe would bring a $1,000. bare bones. The center machinist box $275. with just a scant amount of trinkets in the drawers. Lets hope you do better than that and get yourself a couple of nice Fathers Day gifts.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
J Tiers

Post by J Tiers »

Wow..... $1000 with NOTHING?

Not around here.

Unless of course it is a worn out south bend 9", those are like gold........ in the mind of the sellers.
spro

Atlas 10" lathe

Post by spro »

Well Timkens are great but in my opinion the 10" was about the max for that headstock. I had a 12" and it is capable of good work. I just think this 10x24 may have some goodies in the drawers and -well it's over anyway.