What size 4 jaw is the limit for lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ndav8r

What size 4 jaw is the limit for lathe

Post by ndav8r »

Hi Gang:
I need to get a decent 4 jaw independent chuck for my Clausing model 4902. It is a 10 x 24" machine. I was wondering what the size limit would be. I was hoping to fit an 8" chuck with reversable jaws. Any suggestions, comments?
Thanks.
NDAV8R
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The one bit of advice I'd offer is to insure that you can't extend jaws beyond the point where they can hit the ways. Too large a chuck can yield problems in that area-------and can be difficult for a lathe to start, depending on the speed selection.

I can't speak for your particular machine, but an 8" 4 jaw may be the limit, with a 6" a more reasonable choice. investigate well before making the decision. I'd agree-----get the largest one your lathe can accommodate.

Harold
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Just to give you an idea, the one that comes with a 12x36 Atlas is a 6".

An 8" would be pretty big on the 12", much less a 10".

Steve
JHenriksen

Post by JHenriksen »

I use an 8 inch on my Rockwell 11 inch. The warning about the jaws sticking out is a good one to heed.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

I have an 8" 4 jaw on my Clausing 4901. Watching how far the jaws are extended is just common sense, really. To date I haven't hit the ways with chuck jaws under power. If you can't turn the chuck to indicate the part in; that should tell you something.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

My Rockwell 11 has a Pratt Burnerd 8" that is about perfect, at least in my opinion. Note that this is what would probably be called a "light duty" 8". The body is only about 2" thick. There are also "heavy duty" 8" chucks. I have an 8" Cushman in this form factor, and it weighs at least twice what the PB weight as well as being over 3" thick and with jaws twice as wide. There is a HUGE difference...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Bill Shields

Chuck

Post by Bill Shields »

I have a 12" chuck on my 16" south bend and an 8" chuck on my 10" clone.

There have been many times that I blessed the fact that I had the 8" because I could hold work that will fit in the lathe....and there are many times that I curse the weight of the 12" - requires a chain-fall to get on / off.

If it were a bit smaller, I would change from 3 to 4 jaws a bit more frequently. It's also a bear to get up to full speed in high range with the old flat-belt drive, before the belts slips off the pulley..

How heavy a chuck can you lift? In some cases, that becomes the determining factor - along with the $$$ of the larger chuck (which is why most lathes come with small chucks in the first place).
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

BadDog wrote:My Rockwell 11 has a Pratt Burnerd 8" that is about perfect, at least in my opinion. Note that this is what would probably be called a "light duty" 8".
I have (probably) exactly the same P-B "light" 8" chuck for my Harrison 11" and likewise IMHO it's just about perfect for model engineering and live steaming, on those few occasions when I actually need an 8" chuck. A full 95% of the time I use a 6" 4-jaw, also a P-B "light" duty. I also have a Cushman bigass heavy duty reversable jaw 8" 4-jaw . . . . and I hardly ever use it. But then it always depends upon the work it will need to do.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

I don't see any problem with, and don't think you'll have any problems using an 8" diameter chuck on your Rockwell 10".

I have D1-4 mount 6" chucks (Rohm 3-jaw and a Cushman 4-jaw) on my South Bend Heavy 10 Toolroom. When I get it back together after cleaning and re-painting, I'll be buying a new 8" 4-jaw for it. The SB Heavy 10 won't have any problem using an 8" chuck.

The smaller SB 9" or Light 10" (10K) lathe will handle 8" chucks..... And many who own those lathes use 8" chucks.

By the way, when I have the chuck jaws extended beyond the body, I ALWAYS turn the chuck by hand 360-degrees to check for jaw clearance, regardless of the number of jaws, before turning on the power.... And stop turning before each jaw is close to the bedways where it may hit. Never turn the lathe's power on without checking jaw/bedway clearance first.

EDITED.....

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

I had an 8" Union on the SB10L at the museum, worked great. I only have a 6" for the new home 10L, but that's fine with me. I have a 12" on the big L&S, so anything of any size gets put in there, anyway. If the SB was my only lathe, I'd probably have an 8".

One minor advantage of a 6" versus an 8 is the small grip range. That POS Union wouldn't go much under 5/8", where this 6"er will go down to about 1/4.
18x72 L&S, Fosdick 3ft radial, Van Norman 2G bridgemill, Van Norman #12, K. O. Lee T&C grinder, Steptoe-Western 12X universal HS shaper, 16spd benchtop DP, Grob band filer, South Bend 10L