Grizzly 1860 lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Larry H

Grizzly 1860 lathe

Post by Larry H »

Hi all new to this forum. I have aquired a Grizzly 1860 model GH1860 D/B lathe and have found out the company has discontinued it from there line and do not have any parts avaibile for it. It was missing the follow rest so I found a smillar 16" one on ebay and made a spacer to make it work. Now to my question it comes with two change gears for cutting Module and Diameter pitch threads. Are these ever used here in the US? I did locate them but they are very expensive. Is this lathe worth keeping, is there any other machines the same? It is made by Baoji Machine in China. I still have my old lathe a Southbend 13" standard gear change. I am thinking of keeping it to use to turn knobs and lever balls with. Is this over kill with two lathes? Sorry for so many questions just looking for some advise. Thanks Larry
spro

overkill

Post by spro »

It is not necessarily overkill to have two lathes this size if you have room. The China one may be very accurate when you set it up right and does have that metric capability with those gears and also corresponding charts or labels to make sense of it quicker. I know of about 3 generations of SB 13" which means somebody else knows 5 or 6. so you could be more specific. Also with ball turning attachments and things it gets old to constantly take one thing off to do a primary operation so at least two lathes, is good.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya the grizzfooee Lathes are changing a lot as grizz apparently changes manufacturers like old sox. So parts become a problem. Tho most machine guys worth their salt can make just about anything that breaks.

And No , it is not overkill. Having a second machine to make a bush or shaft while you play with something else is a real convenience, a luxury that many could use, particularly if they are diferent sized machines.

It is unhandy, but not impossible to make 1/4 and 3/8 inch parts on a 13 inch lathe, much easier on a 6 or 9. Try turning a 10 or 12 inch wheel on a 9 inch lathe, you see what I mean.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Larry H

Grizzly and Southbend

Post by Larry H »

Thanks for the reply. So you all takled me into keeping the old Southbend its what I was hoping to here. I would still like to know if I should persue obtaing the gears for the Grizzly or do I not need them. Most of the use for it I have a hobby of repairing - restoring old antique dozers and tractors but if the need should ever come up to cut these odball threads I need to go after these gears soon they want about thiree hundred for them. Thanks for the advice it really helps. Larry H
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I dunno. I have never gotten a thread that was NOT included in my equipment so far. ( I dont do metric. ) I am stingy on money and look at feebay for bits and pieces. I got my Big SB lathe with all new change gears. A PITA, but there.

Reminds me that my big lathe is rusting and not set up to run..Only the school 9 inch.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
carryallman

Re: Grizzly 1860 lathe

Post by carryallman »

im looking at a grizzly #1860d/b lathe like yours -can you or somebody give me more info or pics of this model lathe /i know this is a old post BUT need some info on it send to wahl4m@aol.com thanks
Jaxian

Post by Jaxian »

Diametral (imperial) and Module (metric) are for cutting worm shafts. So if you are going to turn worm gear shafts then you would absolutely need them. Personally I would wait until the job comes along that you need them then buy the one you need.

I see lots of old equipment that use worm shafts to transfer motion from one axis to another. So might be useful if that's what you do. Whether you will ever be fixing a metric worm shaft and need Module I would think probably not but then you might have a thing for European tractors or something.

So basically don't buy them until you need them. They are not a job that will just sneak up on you and be needed in pinch.
carryallman

Post by carryallman »

i did buy that grizzly "gh 1860 d/b " lathe it was in really good shape - son in law said what chips that was in pan -was from the time his family member bought the lathe till now ?? by looking at tooling and stuff i kimda believe it !! it has a 3 & 4 jaw ,taper attachment, small l face plate,drill chuck and a couple of t/stock centers ! I WOULD LOVE TO FIND A STEAD this lathe seems to Y & FOLLOW REST OR PICS AND DIMENSIONS TO MAKE BOTH !!!!! ALSO A OWNERS & PARTS MANUALS-PLEASE PLEASE----i seen a model # g5962 that looks identical -even the knob positions look similiar ?? thanks for any help !!