Jet 1336 PBD Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Michael_Moore

Post by Michael_Moore »

FWIW, in the early 1980s I purchased a replacement cross slide from Jet for my 1024 Select lathe after the original one snapped in half along the lead screw channel when the rocker toolpost cut off tool snagged and exerted waaaay too much leverage on the machine.

It appears that during the early 1980s some of the Taiwan machines were marketed under different names or different companies made machines that were "identical enough."

A QCTP was the single most wonderful item I purchased for that lathe. Rocker toolposts may have a place, but not in my shop.

cheers,
Michael
Fredcat

Re: Jet 1336 PBD Lathe

Post by Fredcat »

Beez,

You can get an Instruction and Parts manual from OzarkToolManuals.com for about $35. This is a pretty manual was detailed drawings showing all the parts.

Can you tell how you got the spindle out of your lathe? I am trying to replace my belt but so far am unable to get the spindle out of the lathe.

Thanks
Fredcat
spro

Post by spro »

Mine isn't exactly yours but I have read there are hidden screws or clips. At this point, you may inspect, lube and reset the pre load of those rather large bearings. The bull pulley has an oil port accessed by a screw between some Vee and it will line up with another-but- this may be different. If all is well except the belt, cut it off and install the "link" style.
Dan Coleman

Post by Dan Coleman »

I bought a Jet 1336 belt drive this Summer and Jet was able to email me a manual free. I needed a couple knobs, and they couldn't help. I dug into the older Grizzly manuals online and was able to match the ones I needed.
Dan Coleman
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I had exactly the same thing happen to my Select 1024 -> but it was with a QTCP attached and a cut-off tool dug in and "off with it's head"

the marketing of Taiwan machines under multiple names was/is not limited to the 1980's - they are still doing it
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

For the Taiwanese lathes, finding the name of the real manufacturer isn't that easy. A lot of them have closed down, I guess the Chinese competition .I haven't found in my casual search the manufacturer of my DF1224g lathe. A common Grizzly.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
pete

Post by pete »

Sometimes running a Google image search using the model no. can turn up lathes of the exact same type only painted and have a different model number for various country's or tool suppliers around the world. Visiting that image page can sometimes get other model numbers to run search terms with. Even at that it still depends on various company's using the same bed, head stock, tail stock and carriage castings to build there own versions and designs. I've run Google searches using there translate option in French, Italian, German and a few in Dutch. It's extremely slow and frustrating since your never 100% sure it's the correct translation and a web page in that language when translated back to English usually looses a lot with technical terms. I'd imagine doing so in Chinese might be even tougher. :-(

Fwiw I did learn there's some amazing work being done in some home shops around the world that we never get to see simply because Google doesn't return any hits for non English websites if your searching with English terms. Like English language forums, it's frowned on to do any posts in English on those non English forums.