New Project Brought Home Today

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Hawk99

New Project Brought Home Today

Post by Hawk99 »

Well, I brought home a new project today. As if I needed another one. It is a Monarch CK12 x 30. It was built 4-1942

Went this morning to pick it up and brought it home and got it where it goes. Not set yet, but in the right spot. Was given to me by a church member. Came with 4 jaw, collet set, and taper attachment. Spent the last twenty years in his garage not running, the 20 years before that in a trade school. May be a real chore. The following pics are the loading and unloading. All done by two guys, chains, pipe and a come along.

Clean up will be first priority. I guess now, I will be spending more time and money in my shop.

Frank
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Boy, that thing is a beast. That's one of the "largest " 12x30's I've seen. I have a 12x36 Atlas and I'll bet the carriage on that weighs almost as much as mu lathe.

Good luck with it and keep us up to date on the clean up.

Nice BelAir, too.

Steve
AllenH

Post by AllenH »

What a treasure. If you get it cleaned up and working, you will really have something. I bet it is very rigid. If the gear train is intact it is worth getting the bed scraped if it needs it. Maybe not in terms of dollars and cents, but in terms of what you would have when you were done. I am a shop rat, and love a good shop project. I would really enjoy getting that old monarch back up and running.
Allen
mattgatten

Post by mattgatten »

Great Googa Mooga. That is a hoss! I would have a blast stripping that thing down and going through it. If for nothing else, the history behind it. And I thought my little Heavy 10 restore was 'a project'. haha

Congrats and keep us posted. :)
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Worth its weight in cast iron, thats for sure. Now you truly have the Iron Blood disease, that make everything bigger, better. Sheesh, it'll take morna'gallon of 'rebuild' paint for that one. Keep us posted on the Labor of love.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

They used those for modeling brick out-houses !!

:lol: :lol:
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

SteveM wrote: That's one of the "largest " 12x30's I've seen.
The inch was bigger back then....
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 »

I was encouraged today when I moved the carriage and there was clean fresh looking oil on the ways. I am hoping that the way oilers were working throughout its life so far. Maybe a clean up and go to work???

SteveM - weight is approximately 3800 pounds, thanks on the BelAir.

AllenH & mattgatten - I look at all old American iron as a treasure. When the guy offered this to me, I could not wait to get it in the shop.

steamin10 - Lets see 3800 x .10 = $380.00. Good find

Jose & Glen - things were different back then. I just hope I can finish some of the projects I have going before I start on this thing. But probably not.

Thanks for looking and well wishing from you all.

Frank
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I have never used a 12" CK, but I have used a 12K which looks pretty much the same as yours.

How big is the spindle motor on yours?

The one I ran was 7.5 HP. It was cataloged as as 12", but the actual swing was 14.5". I supect yours is just as nice as the one I ran. I cut a lot of acme valve stems and nuts on that lathe. 2" diameter with a 4 pitch double start left hand Acme threads.

You have a real nice find there and it should last you just about forever.

Keep us posted.

Richard W.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

About the only negative thing I could say about the machine is it was built for HSS tooling, so the top end is rather slow. They're absolutely one of the finest lathes produced for their time. Truly an industrially rated machine, built for the war effort.

I took note that it has the characteristic cross slide lock, which is wonderful for chasing threads.

If it doesn't have any serious issues, you're going to be favorably impressed. Very rigid and capable machines, they are.

Harold
Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 »

RichardW

The data plate says model 12"CK, swing over ways 14.5", then sn 12002 with a triangle with 6 over 3A, probably an inspection mark.

I have not pulled the panel to see what size the motor is yet.

Harold

I am a HSS type. I probably will never do production work as I like to repair things and do one offs. I was afraid when he offered me the machine and I accepted sight unseen that it might be one of the production only machines Monarch built without threading capability. But found out it was a toolroom lathe and was sure at that point is could thread.

I plan on enjoying this as with my BelAir, I am only the caretaker until it is passed on to the next generation. I see it as my duty to improve and maintain until then. Oh!, and enjoy it until then.

Frank
jim rozen

Post by jim rozen »

Brick outhouse? No. Cast iron outhouse, YES.

Really impressed with the transport job. You know your stuff
sir. Get to where you're going, jack up the machine a tenth of
an inch, knock out the timbers, it comes right down on the
rollers.

Very sweet.

Jim