Welcome to the Lathe Forum!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

kc6uvm

Re: Welcome to the Lathe Forum!

Post by kc6uvm » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:52 pm

Been awhile since I posted in Chaski, but I'm back....

Acquired a Southbend 9C lathe last Fall and will be restoring it to operational condition. Judging by the serial number, it was built during the war. A previous owner painted it blue.

Created a heavy wood stand for it, set the lathe up on the table and will have to inspect the motor. I saw something I didn't like....

There will be pictures posted this weekend.
George J. Becker
Lancaster, CA (formerly of Shandon, CA)
Model railroading is fun but the work expands proportionately to the track gauge.

spro

Post by spro » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:10 am

Sounds cool. Welcome back!

spro

Post by spro » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:57 pm

I can't say what you "didn't like" but the underhead motors of the 9A are quite heavy. I can't see that motor positioned outside and the heavy pulleys. Then it went to flat belt and those were relatively heavy cone pulleys. So I don't see that happening without under drive.
Way back in the 1930's, with the South Bend 11" they changed so where an electrical motor could be used instead of line shaft drive. The motor is enormous and heavy and the cast structure to support it and the chain drive and flat pulleys weighed a lot! Sure it was stable with all that weight. We don't see many of these around anymore...But there was centrifugal balanced force to the spindle. I cannot more recommend that, after all this time, a flat-head engine but it did do the job.
Your 9 is different and what it needs is stable drive. You can't hang all this weight off of it now. One balanced flywheel will help and the newer options can work with it.