Welcome to the Lathe Forum!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

AllThumbz

Welcome to the Lathe Forum!

Postby AllThumbz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi there...welcome to our new lathe forum, for the discussion of the restoration, maintenance and use of all types of home shop lathes, including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and chinese 5x7 lathes.

Frequently Asked Questions - Please Check Here First!
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86771

This forum is newbie and home shop friendly.
All levels of users are welcome.
All questions are welcome.
Please do not feel intimidated about participating.
Your suggestions are welcomed and implemented.

Let us help one another to learn, to keep our machines running, and to have fun with our hobby!

Best,

Nelson T.
a/k/a "Allthumbz"

jim rozen

Re: Welcome to the Lathe Forum!

Postby jim rozen » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:22 pm

And especially - Atlas!!

:) :)

Jim

AllThumbz

Postby AllThumbz » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:48 am

My first lathe was a 6" Atlas that I bought around 1978... from Atlas-Clausing directly brand new, along with the tooling.

Nelson

Davo J

Postby Davo J » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:57 am

Good to see a separate lathe forum, now if we could only move all those older lathe posts over to here.
No chances of that I don't think, but looking forward to seeing all the new one's.
Dave

AllThumbz

Postby AllThumbz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:51 am

Davo J wrote:Good to see a separate lathe forum, now if we could only move all those older lathe posts over to here.
No chances of that I don't think, but looking forward to seeing all the new one's.
Dave

I don't have that ability, unfortunately, but if I did, I would be happy to move them here to keep things organized in one place...

Nelson

Davo J

Postby Davo J » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:30 am

Hi Nelson,
It would be a huge job, if it could be done, I think would take a long time.
I really like the new look, the new sections and the changes to the forum.
Dave

AllThumbz

Postby AllThumbz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:36 am

I would be willing to give it a try....I like to think positive! 8)

Nelson

AllThumbz

Postby AllThumbz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:31 am

Davo J wrote:Hi Nelson,
It would be a huge job, if it could be done, I think would take a long time.
I really like the new look, the new sections and the changes to the forum.
Dave

As you can see, I have figured out how to move posts germane to the use and operation of the lathe from the general section, where they are buried, to this forum, where we can use them and even resurrect them if we want to. I have been screening and moving posts periodically, and will continue to do so, starting with older posts with more responses.

Unfortunately, the new software does not permit me to make some topics sticky, which keeps them at the top. However, Harold and I have figured out a way to mark certain posts so that Harold can use his powers to make them into stickies for us. Towards that end, if you find any posts in the forum you feel should be "sticky", please let us know.

One other request please, if you have suggestions on how we can make this forum better and more useful to you, please let me know. I am trying to make this into a very helpful place. I cannot do anything about the new software, and the decision as to creating these new forums has been made. I will own up to the fact that this idea- to have a separate lathe and mill forums- was my idea to Harold, for better or worse, (and I hope better), because I had a hard time finding so many good ideas and helpful posts buried in the General forum.

I will use this thread to continue to update everyone on our progress.

Best,

Nelson

Davo J

Postby Davo J » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi Nelson.
I see you have worked it out, and have been busy moving posts over, Great work. :wink:
Dave

spro

Postby spro » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi, Nelson. The idea was good. This section should be very useful as the membership has expanded.-thx

AllThumbz

Postby AllThumbz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:57 pm

I have moved well over 400 posts, and counting...
In some cases, I have changed the subjects to make them more descriptive of the content.
Some posts are duplicative, and I can merge those into one post.

It is surprising how much information is buried, and the search system does not allow you to flush it all out, so I am going topic by topic. Harold is making designated posts sticky, so they remain at top where newcomers can find them easily.

I am considering a way of categorizing the subjects to make it even easier to find things, perhaps by placing the type of lathe before the post, i.e. "[southbend]", so you can scan the topics and read what is relevant to your machine. That will take some time.

In the meantime, enjoy, and let me know if there is anything else I can do to make it easier to find things...

Best,

Nelson

GlennW

Postby GlennW » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:52 pm

AllThumbz wrote:I have moved well over 400 posts, and counting...
In some cases, I have changed the subjects to make them more descriptive of the content.
Some posts are duplicative, and I can merge those into one post.Nelson

And you are doing a fine job too!

Thank you, and the other powers that be for your time!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!

Return to “Lathes”