Show us your lathe!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

larry_g

Re: Show us your lathe!

Post by larry_g »

Glenn Brooks wrote:Larry, are there any Sheldon model years that stand out as superior machines in their product line- particularly 13 or 14" swing models? I see Sheldons up for sale from time to time on CL and am thinking about upgrading to a larger machine.

Thanks
Glenn P.
Glenn

I'm no expert on these. I know that the R model ones are top of the line. These lathes I have were both school machines and have the same spindle mount so I can use chucks and collet adapters on either. I find the 13" is the go to machine as it is heavier and just more stable. Mine are an EXL and EXM (I think) There are earlier models, flat belt, and the later R models. I don't know if it shows in the pictures but the 10" has a red lever to engage the carriage feed and the 13" has a round knob you have to twist to engage the feed. The lever is much easier. The threading QC boxes look the same but the 10" has one more slot for more threads. I've never bothered to date mine and there is no exact way I know of. The Yahoo Sheldon group has gathered information and can date them somewhat.

If you get down the Salem way I'd be happy to let you have a hands on experience.

lg
no neat sig line
I am unique, just like everyone else.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks Larry, maybe I will drive down and take you up on your offer. Certainly be interesting to look at your 13" closeup.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
hoyt

Post by hoyt »

Logan Model 400 I purchased in October, I just got it repaired and running yesterday.
As-Purchased-001-EUZl5ZI.jpg
2018-12-28 15.02.59.jpg
And along the way, I acquired a send Logan 400. It needs a little more work before it's ready.
37623539_10216768782708820_6782177363850428416_n.jpg
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

I am another Nardini owner. Sorry, no pix. There was a lot wrong with it when I bought it. Major electrical issues: zero speed relay & prox switch, screwed up wiring on the forward & reverse microswitches, blown coil on one relay. I got the electrical problems fixed except the brake is not engaging. There were broken shear pins inside the apron. Reassembling the feed clutch was a challenge. I am getting pretty close to the point where I think I am going to like the lathe. I bought ir from a guy that bought it at auction. Neither of us had the opportunity to see it under power.
Longshot379

Post by Longshot379 »

I have just acquired a Lodge and Shipley lathe. I am now trying to clear out a bay in the shop to put it where hopefully I won't have to move it ever again.
It is probably more lathe than I will ever need, But I would rather have too much than not enough.

I have alot to learn to learn. Hopefully ya'll won't get tired of all my questions and run me out.

https://www.chaski.org/hohttps://www.ch ... f4fb119638
Attachments
2019-04-25 17.49.16-1resized.jpg
2019-04-25 17.49.32-1resized.jpg
2019-04-25 17.49.54-1resized.jpg
2019-04-25 17.50.17-1resized.jpg
spro

Post by spro »

Hi Longshot379. Welcome to the site, forum. Wow man, that L&S is a piece of work. I mean a Lot of work for you. That's okay because I never underestimate the abilities of guys here. Where to start, as if I was to review the pics.. I didn't see a cross slide or compound slide (perhaps removed earlier) . A lathe as this runs slow with massive torque but the present drive can barely turn the spindle. It looks like the QCGB is from a South Bend. The overhead transmission is where equally large cone pulleys would be. I believe it was originally driven by a line shaft but you know all this stuff and know that one vee belt isn't going to pull like the wide flat belts. Many people will not comment at all but somethings need be said . I really like vintage machinery. Lathes of this time have outlived the factories, the dealers and most everyone who operated them. I'm on your side and been there, with machine enfatuation but before it comes off the fine trailer, more info about it and why.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hey Spro, take a closer look, there is a lantern style tool post sitting on the compound, with a Armstrong type tool holder in it.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

Yes Pat, I see it now. Expanding the pics shows other things too..
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

A South Bend 9A. The serial number dates it to 1927. It was originally equipped with the silent chain drive. I found the chain not so silent and replaced it with a V belt. It came to me with the steady rest, follower rest, draw bar for collects and some of the taper attachment. It isn't fast but still does good work.
Attachments
South Bend 9.jpg
JackF

Post by JackF »

That is one beautiful lathe, :D :D and it appears at least to be in good shape. I love it when I see old machinery still in use. :D Maybe you can show us some of the work you have done on it.

I see from your personal info you are into photography. I have a 1890 Rochester Optical and Camera Co. 8X10 view camera that I have in the past used to take "Old Time" portraits. It is now retired but on display in our bonus room.

Jack.
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

It shows some wear but overall it's in good shape. This is my favorite project so far. I'm ever so slowly working on a New York Central H10a. The steam builders around me finished their axles in mandrels and pressed them on the axles. I decided to finish them between centers. Axles, crank pins and drivers were done on the 9A. I did everything with HSS tools but the tread,. I used HSS to rough the tread and an insert tool that matched the flange radius to finish the tread. It's everything the lathe could do to reach out and run that tool without chattering. It's companion is an Index Model 40 mill.
Attachments
Main Drivers_1.jpg
JackF

Post by JackF »

Thanks Pat for the pic. Nice work.

Jack.