Show us your lathe!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

JackF

Re: Show us your lathe!

Post by JackF »

Mike, it sounds like you will not need any face to face help, maybe someone near you could use yours. :wink: :lol:

Jack.
spro

Post by spro »

Neat machine. If you know an Oliver track loader, you already know stuff. I don't mean old stuff. Engineering has no boundary, yet most survive over better designs.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Nice find, indeed!

Welcome to the group. SW Ohio seems to be picking up representation here. 8)
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
dvr6

Post by dvr6 »

Makes nice small parts. :D
Attachments
20160320_162416 (Small).jpg
Viper0222

Post by Viper0222 »

Hi All! So finally acquired my first lathe a couple of months ago, and am almost through the restoration. It is a Logan 1821, manufactured in 1957. I was lucky enough to get it with a Stelling cross-feed control as well. Did not come with much of the normal accessories, but I'm getting there. QCGB was abused, but the rest looks pretty good so far. Was previously repainted, and it still looks pretty good overall, except for the chip pan, so I am not looking at redoing that. Have torn it down, cleaned, and reassembled probably 95%, and starting to make chips, and relearn the basics. Having a blast.

Pics:
1) As purchased.
2) In progress; saddle and apron done (still need handle for cross-feed dial).
3) Getting close.

Thanks, Matt H
Attachments
IMG_20160414_174803816_HDR little.jpg
IMG_20160424_230239954 little.jpg
IMG_20160521_094234991 little.jpg
Zerobeat

Post by Zerobeat »

Viper0222 wrote:Hi All! So finally acquired my first lathe a couple of months ago, and am almost through the restoration. It is a Logan 1821, manufactured in 1957. I was lucky enough to get it with a Stelling cross-feed control as well. Did not come with much of the normal accessories, but I'm getting there. QCGB was abused, but the rest looks pretty good so far. Was previously repainted, and it still looks pretty good overall, except for the chip pan, so I am not looking at redoing that. Have torn it down, cleaned, and reassembled probably 95%, and starting to make chips, and relearn the basics. Having a blast.

Pics:
1) As purchased.
3) Getting close.

Thanks, Matt H
Looks nice, have a Logan 1985H, myself. If you don't mind me asking, is that a communications or spectrum analyzer on the workbench in the last photo?

Tom
spro

Post by spro »

Logans are cool anyway but check out the large dials. Viper is doing a fine job and if his screen name has anything to do with association to or with, it is elemental this machine will be finely tuned.
I could wait a day or two years but I am also interested in the spectrum analyzer. The juxtaposition of two technologies is striking yet understandable.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Not a rebuild, but a new lathe I just installed in my new shop.
The lathe is a Grizzly G0709 14-40, and I installed the DRO since the photo was taken. An interesting project with no instructions.

I'm looking forward to the rigidity of the new lathe, and being able to machine all of my projects at home instead of borrowing shop time from others.
The new milling machine will go behind the new lathe when it arrives. And after I move all that stuff...
~RN
New Lathe 1 sml.jpg
New Lathe 3 sml.jpg
Viper0222

Post by Viper0222 »

Zerobeat wrote:
Viper0222 wrote:Hi All! So finally acquired my first lathe a couple of months ago, and am almost through the restoration. It is a Logan 1821, manufactured in 1957. I was lucky enough to get it with a Stelling cross-feed control as well. Did not come with much of the normal accessories, but I'm getting there. QCGB was abused, but the rest looks pretty good so far. Was previously repainted, and it still looks pretty good overall, except for the chip pan, so I am not looking at redoing that. Have torn it down, cleaned, and reassembled probably 95%, and starting to make chips, and relearn the basics. Having a blast.

Pics:
1) As purchased.
3) Getting close.

Thanks, Matt H
Looks nice, have a Logan 1985H, myself. If you don't mind me asking, is that a communications or spectrum analyzer on the workbench in the last photo?

Tom
Tom,

Yes, it is an older Motorola R2018 radio communications analyzer. It's good for quick go-no go tests on analog stuff, but it won't do much for the current digital radios. I keep the newer gear in my service vehicle with me. I am a radio communications tech, but my bench has been taken over lately by other projects more mechanical in nature.

Matt
Viper0222

Post by Viper0222 »

spro wrote:Logans are cool anyway but check out the large dials. Viper is doing a fine job and if his screen name has anything to do with association to or with, it is elemental this machine will be finely tuned.
I could wait a day or two years but I am also interested in the spectrum analyzer. The juxtaposition of two technologies is striking yet understandable.
Spro,

Thanks for the kind words, I hope you are right! The "Viper" screen name/call sign/handle may not be as exciting as you might think. It originates (for me) from 1978, from the original TV series Battlestar Galactica, and was the name of their primary star fighters on the show. The name resonated with me, and I took it as my "handle" when I was a little older and got into CB radios. It has stuck with me since. Now that I think about it, I guess the radio thing did too!

Anyway, I am trying my best to get things dialed in and working properly. I am learning a lot, and thank all you folks in the various forums for your support.

Matt
Viper0222

Post by Viper0222 »

NP317 wrote:Not a rebuild, but a new lathe I just installed in my new shop.
The lathe is a Grizzly G0709 14-40, and I installed the DRO since the photo was taken. An interesting project with no instructions.

I'm looking forward to the rigidity of the new lathe, and being able to machine all of my projects at home instead of borrowing shop time from others.
The new milling machine will go behind the new lathe when it arrives. And after I move all that stuff...
~RN
New Lathe 1 sml.jpg
New Lathe 3 sml.jpg
Wow, great shop space. Almost motivates me to clean up my garage...
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Viper0222 wrote:Thanks for the kind words, I hope you are right! The "Viper" screen name/call sign/handle may not be as exciting as you might think. It originates (for me) from 1978, from the original TV series Battlestar Galactica, and was the name of their primary star fighters on the show. The name resonated with me, and I took it as my "handle" when I was a little older and got into CB radios. It has stuck with me since. Now that I think about it, I guess the radio thing did too!
Funny the insights sometimes provided by screen names. Mine has a very similar origin. Back in the mid 80s I started using a CB and needed a handle. At that moment, there was a running joke (somewhat exaggerated) about me always being "in the dog house", and my wife and friends would sometimes say "bad dog!" to me or refer to "the dog house" when I did something stupid, wrong or simply made a mistake. And that is the origin of my handle that I use (where possible) on forums today, and of course still my CB handle when involved in off-road treks.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper