Show us your lathe!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

b2major9th

Re: Show us your lathe!

Post by b2major9th »

Here's mine: A 14 in. Sidney. Former U.S. Navy machine. It swings over 17 inches.

large 4-jaw chuck mounted on the D1-6 spindle

Speed selection controls

Navy anchor and serial number; indicates it was made in 1944

Mike
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

S Turf,

That's a really nice 1230. Most I've seen are pretty scratched and beat up from schools/students.

Where did you find it?

I recently missed what was advertised as an original owner, extremely low time, 1440 in Indiana. Sold before I made contact.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Here is my Grizzly 14X40 model 0554. Found it at a repo house and came with a Acurite 200 2 axis DRO and Q/C tool post and all of the stuff Grizzly supplies as standard equipment for $3000. It looked to be nearly new and the only chips I found on it were brass and nylon(?).

Jack.
Attachments
Lathe.jpg
EdK

Post by EdK »

Here's my Vectrax 14x40 lathe. It's not set up yet because I need to make a stand for it. That's next on my list of things to do.

Ed
Attachments
mid.JPG
No red dragon snot on this one. They used a heavy oil as a rust preventive during shipment.
No red dragon snot on this one. They used a heavy oil as a rust preventive during shipment.
Still on the pallet but at least it's in the basement now waiting for the stand to be built.
Still on the pallet but at least it's in the basement now waiting for the stand to be built.
All ready to be lifted on the yet to be built stand. Did a trial fit of the lifting clamp I made for it.
All ready to be lifted on the yet to be built stand. Did a trial fit of the lifting clamp I made for it.
I almost forgot about my minilathe. First metal lathe I ever owned and I still have it.
I almost forgot about my minilathe. First metal lathe I ever owned and I still have it.
Last edited by EdK on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
S.Turf

Post by S.Turf »

Glenn Wegman wrote:S Turf,

That's a really nice 1230. Most I've seen are pretty scratched and beat up from schools/students.

Where did you find it?
Glenn,
I found it at a dealer in the Phoenix area. Other than a small issue with the carriage, which I subsequently resolved, it was pretty much as you see it. It must have sat idle for years, the follower and steady rest along with the full set of metric gears were never used.
It does exactly what you ask from it.
small.planes

Post by small.planes »

My first Lathe, a Super Adept. Was my fathers, but he never actually got round to using it, so its done all of about 10 hours running.
I keep it up on the top of the tool board, nice and safe.

Then I got a Unimat 4, which I dont have a picture of handy.
On the birth of our first daughter my Uncle decided that his Harrison L5 was in the way at his place, so I fetched it :)

And then I recently replaced the L5 with a CVA, which is essentially a British clone of a 10ee, but 30" and with a few detail changes:

Image\

Its dead useful as it does imperial and metric threads, as well as being a hefty machine which is nice to use.

Ive still got the L5, its for sale, but Ive not shifted it yet if anyone is interested.

Dave
Mark Hockett

Post by Mark Hockett »

Here's an old picture I took of my Haas, it now has a new high speed servo driven tool turret and single cam lever tail stock,

Here's my 13 X 40 Lux Matter manual lathe,

And my favorite lathe, a 7 X 12, set up for drilling very small holes,

Thats a 1" Jacobs ball bearing chuck
Mark Hockett
PixMan

Post by PixMan »

Mark Hockett wrote: And my favorite lathe, a 7 X 12, set up for drilling very small holes,

Thats a 1" Jacobs ball bearing chuck
LOL. The drill chuck is larger than the main spindle's work-holding chuck! I'll have to assume you did that for laughs, because I believe the smallest drill a Jacobs 20N will hold is a 3/8", which appears to be be about the biggest that machine would be capable of using. ;)
JackF

Post by JackF »

Mark,

That drill chuck looks more suited to the Haas. :lol:

Jack.
Mark Hockett

Post by Mark Hockett »

I got the 1" chuck at a garage sale and it had a #2MT arbor on it. I put it in the mini lathe as a joke. The garage sale was at the guys house who started and was in charge of Boeing Surplus when it was open, it was a very cool garage sale.
Mark Hockett
JackF

Post by JackF »

What a job he had, he got first choice of what ever showed up at the surplus store. Sorry I missed that garage sale.

Jack.
MikeA

Post by MikeA »

Hello All,

Some nice looking iron in these photos! I'm always amazed at the caliber of equipment hobbyists have stashed away.

Here are some photos of my machines:

First is a Unimat DL - I wanted one of these since I was a kid and saw them advertised in Popular Science and Popular Mechanics, finally only 50 years later I got one! Needed a lot of work but got it back into tip-top condition only to find it was rather limited and couldn't do some (if not most) of the things I was interested in. Sold it on and honestly don't miss it.

Nest up was an Atlas/Craftsman 6X18 Model 101 - looked all over and finally found one within 25 miles of my house. It had been purchased by a professional machinist in 1972 and little used, then it sat in a leaky garage for 15 years unused and uncared for after the original owner passed away. I bought it from his brother and got it all cleaned up and it still is a little jewel with perfect ways and very tight. I'll probably never part with it.

My latest is an Emco Maximat V10 P 3 in 1, 10 X 25, made in Austria in 1973 and the one that has since been copied by limitless thousands of Asian versions. Precision and fine engineering are the hallmarks of this lathe and I doubt I will be replacing it in my lifetime.

All the best,
Mike
Attachments
DSCN0467.jpg
DSCN9684.jpg
DSCN7758.jpg
Better is the enemy of good enough!