Show us your lathe!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

thedieter

Re: Show us your lathe!

Post by thedieter »

These are my lathes; an ENCO 7x10, a 9x48 Southbend, and an ENCO 13x40.

I first had an Atlas like shown in MikeA's photo above with which I made the tool holder now on the Southbend (with aluminum spacer). I had a mill attachment for the Atlas and used it to make the tool holder.

Best regards, Jack
Attachments
Lathe farm.jpg
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Mark Hockett wrote:Here's an old picture I took of my Haas, it now has a new high speed servo driven tool turret and single cam lever tail stock,

Here's my 13 X 40 Lux Matter manual lathe,
Mark, I would like to see more pics of HAAS, I've never seen one like it before, no enclosure, curions to see the tool changer and how well does the splash shield work? Looking for ideas for my Clausing CNC conversion. It looks like the HAAS could be used in the manual mode as well? Would also like to see the control and mount...ideas.
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

My 9x20 on a cabinet that costs almost as much as the lathe 8)
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
JackF

Post by JackF »

Falcon,

Good looking lathe and beautiful cabinet. 8)

Jack.
knucklehead 61

Post by knucklehead 61 »

my 1996 clausing-metosa 1340 with dro's.
Your photo is not acceptable on this forum. Please do NOT post anything with vulgar terms displayed.

Harold
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

JackF wrote:Falcon,

Good looking lathe and beautiful cabinet. 8)

Jack.
Thanks. Scored that at Sams. It's got all the mill and lathe related tooling in it. Handy as all get-out.
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
JackF

Post by JackF »

Hi Chris,

looks like I should renew the Sams Club card. :wink:

Jack.
JohnAspinall

Post by JohnAspinall »

Here is the 12x36 I posted about nearly a year ago in this thread: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... hp?t=81732 , now cleaned up.

It's mounted on a piece of 10" C-channel, which provides something solid to twist against. I'm in the process of messing with how to fit a QCTP on it.
Attachments
WholeLathe_1.JPG
jim rozen

Post by jim rozen »

John, unrelated question, but is Minuteman Tech still in operation there?

Jim
packrat

Post by packrat »

nice lathe....did you get a chuck for it yet..?? is power run to it yet..??
regards packrat
JohnAspinall

Post by JohnAspinall »

jim rozen wrote:John, unrelated question, but is Minuteman Tech still in operation there?

Jim
Yes they are; in fact my 10-year old son is there this week, doing some fun stuff for school vacation week.

- John
JohnAspinall

Post by JohnAspinall »

packrat wrote:nice lathe....did you get a chuck for it yet..?? is power run to it yet..??
regards packrat
Thanks, Packrat. It's "in progress". Power: yes, it came wired for 110V, I've rewired it for 220V and it runs. Spindle oil and way oil have been acquired, along with a link belt and some flip-top oilers. Chuck: I have an unmounted 6" 3-jaw and a blank backplate. I've made the first chips, facing off the neck of the backplate (mounted backwards on the spindle). Next job is to bore out the backplate by about 0.010 to sit firmly against the shoulder of the spindle. The lathe has a 2 1/4 x 8 tpi spindle and the "neck" (i.e. behind the threaded section, before it turns to the shoulder) is a little bit oversize and the backplate binds before it reaches the shoulder when threaded on forwards. (Did that make sense?) I need to figure out a makeshift boring bar holder for the old lantern toolpost to do that job.

Forum member, and very-similar lathe owner, chrispy has been extremely helpful exchanging pictures and advice.

- John