V-Belt for Rockwell Lathe Variable Speed Drive

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

magilla

V-Belt for Rockwell Lathe Variable Speed Drive

Post by magilla »

I have a Rockwell/Delta 10" lathe that I am fixing up. The belts are shot and I haven't been able to find new ones. They are 1" wide x 28" long x 3/8" thick. They have notches on the inside every 1/2" or so. Does anyone know where to find some? Delta was no help.
Doug_C

Re: V-Belt for Rockwell Lathe Variable Speed Drive

Post by Doug_C »

Hi Magilla,

Is that the rear VS or under cabinet VS?

I have the rear VS on mine. I think I still have the Gates package number. I could get you that number later. Otherwise take it to an industrial supply place like Applied Technologies(Formerly Bearings Inc), WW Grainger etc. These guy's will usually set you up and send you on your way....,all be it a little shorter on cash, but what choice do we have.

There is sometimes a number embossed or printed on the belt. Seems to me there are actually 2 belts in that system. Dunno if they are both the same.

DC
magilla

Post by magilla »

This is the rear drive unit like yours. If you can get me a part number that would be great. One belt on mine was totally mangled, but it looks like it is about the same size as the other one. Thanks!
Jason J

Post by Jason J »

In the Seattle area I would go to McGuire Bearing. I just bought an oddball belt for my Unipower variable speed mill and they were 60% of cost from anyone else, and it was a special order. I know it was the same belt everyone else was selling because every single place I called said it had to come out of Denver. I got it for $28, everybody else was $45-$63.
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

HI Magilla,

The belt number is 1622 V 270.

The break down of this belt is.

Interpretation - 1622 V 270
16 = Top width 16/16 inch
22 = Pulley angle degrees
V = Variable Speed
270 = Pitch length in 1/10 inches

I think mine was made by Goodyear, not Gates. They should cross reference to other name brands.

These are a specialty belt, so I doubt they would be stock. I checked Grainger and MSC with no luck.

They are out there.....

DC