lathe RPM/SFM display source?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mark_dingbaum

lathe RPM/SFM display source?

Post by mark_dingbaum »

Hi,

A long while ago, on the old board, someone was advertising a lathe RPM/SFM display/calculator. As I recall, the setup was very resonable in price, something under $100.

Anyone recall the name of the company selling this item?

thanks,
mark
Cliff

Re: lathe RPM/SFM display source?

Post by Cliff »

Yep. I bought a tachometer kit from Dan Mauch at Camtronics. I'll see if I can find his web site hereabouts.

If not, check with the guys over on the CNC section as he's a pretty popular supplier over there.

I found it -- http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/

For some reason I can't get this thing to treat the above as an URL. I'm afraind you'll have to cut and paste.

== Cliff
GregR

Post by GregR »

Cliff, How do you like the tachometer kit? Is it very hard to put together? I am interested in 0-3000 rpm.

Thanks.

Greg
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Greg,

Well, I've had some experience in assembling kits. It's a pretty basic kit, the PC Board with masking to show component location, a simple set of instructions, and the parts all together in a zip-loc bag.

That said, I like it. But it's nowhere near like the old Heathkits (which came with huge manuals and ANYBODY who could read could assemble).

Its a great value and perfect for the somewhat electronic-minded.

== Cliff
GregR

Post by GregR »

Cliff,

Dan Mauch from Camtronics sent me the assembly instructions. I think I will give this project a try. It is definite at the right price. Anything else I have found costs a lot more. Did you check the accuracy of the tachometer against something else after you installed it? How close was it?

Thanks.

Greg
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

No, I didn't check the accuracy. But any problems woul be with the sensor; keep things clean and contrast high and you shouldn't have any problems.
davestea

Post by davestea »

not sure what you were doing -

all you have to do is type your URL as "www.google.com "

without the quote marks - www.google.com

and this forum does it for you -
Dave
Smithy 3in1, Select Mill, Atlas 6" lathe
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Yeah, I just expected it to show up as such when typing it in like a word processor, I guess. It ended up just fine.

Oh well. . . . .
MarkLong

Re: lathe RPM/SFM display source/accuracy

Post by MarkLong »

I inquired of the kit also and asked him of the accuracy. He claimed +/- 15 rpm.