South Bend Carriage crossfeed gear

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Ironflyer

South Bend Carriage crossfeed gear

Post by Ironflyer »

Hi,
limited working without it for now,

but the cast iron gear the rides the worm under the carriage and drives my crossfeed and passing cuts, is toast,
seems that, not I, honest, but someone in the past sixty years, didn't fully engage it at times, and it worn teeth finally gave today.

the lather number is #49039, makes her an 11" I guess, anyone got a lead on one of these relics?

A week for gears,...the mill ate hers Monday when I fired it up.

Thanks,
Paul
spro

Re: South Bend Carriage crossfeed gear

Post by spro »

Hello. Is that gear 44 teeth, 2 7/16" od ? Inline with the clutch knob-for it is part of the clutch.
Ironflyer

Post by Ironflyer »

Thanks,
it's 44 teeth, I think I miscounted at 45,
it is inline with the clutch knob,
2 716....over the clear part of the body of it,
maybe....2 5/8 if it had all good teeth?
the worn teeth wore on the short acme thread that drives the clutch gear.

should replace em both,

I have had this lathe for years and finally got to finish setting it up and use it.

Paul
AllThumbz

Post by AllThumbz »

Ironflyer wrote:Hi,
limited working without it for now,

but the cast iron gear the rides the worm under the carriage and drives my crossfeed and passing cuts, is toast,
seems that, not I, honest, but someone in the past sixty years, didn't fully engage it at times, and it worn teeth finally gave today.

the lather number is #49039, makes her an 11" I guess, anyone got a lead on one of these relics?

A week for gears,...the mill ate hers Monday when I fired it up.

Thanks,
Paul

These appear on eBay from time to time. Two sellers of parts are Ronnie Cammarata (ipenelopepitstop@aol.com), Ted Pflugner (latheman2@aol.com), as well as Texan.45 on eBay (John Poyser). There is a guy who will cut you a new gear at finegrainmetal@hotmail.com. Between these, you should be up and running soon.

Best,

Nelson
spro

Post by spro »

Ironflyer. Yeh I counted 45 then 44 . It's on the backside of the apron and is always engaged with its worm which rides the leadscrew by key. The "clutch" knob tightens an inner disc to the gear. So when the split-nut is not engaged to the leadscrew for treading, the minor feeds advance at fraction of the leadscrew rotation. (that's for those without the oldtimers) Anyway the main problem except for clutch left dragging and 60 years of time is that the bush(if there is one) of the clutch shaft wears out. It is unsupported at the other end so the bearing Is only the apron face. One can read the wear pattern and see how the gear rides up over time and gradually wears out the tips.
Ironflyer

Post by Ironflyer »

Thanks you guys,
I see what you mean about how it wore,

and Thanks for the leads on finding parts,

I looked up Plaza Machinery in Bethel, Vermont, he has the parts, so once we determine the ones that went to lunch,
we'll get it going,

Best Regards,
Paul