Best lathe, might be Grizzily.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

DarbinCo

Re: Best lathe, might be Grizzily.

Post by DarbinCo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:41 pm

kenh wrote:I would advise a visit here:

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/

Call Matt, he will deal, considerably better pricing than Grizz.

I bought a mill from Grizz. My last purchase from them.
I also ordered a DRO, the scales were 36" instead of 30"
Many Emails, a phone call, still waiting four or five weeks now.l
I can second this. I ordered a 13x40 from Matt, Fed-Ex "frighting freight" has it somewhere between him and I right now. Should be here next week. Matt gave me a smoking deal on some extra tool holders and a DRO (installed) for it. When you compare like I did for quit a while, you cant beat his prices with the extras you get on his machines. Ohhhh yea free shipping too, If you dont have to pay for that you can buy more machine.

kenh

Post by kenh » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:10 am

I ordered the 13X40,which he discounted, but shipment from China was late so he gave me the 14X40 at the same price! (DRO installed)
I had good luck with Fed-Ex freight, it arrived w/o damage, a good driver, etc.

DarbinCo

Post by DarbinCo » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:13 pm

I could have gone up to the 14x40 but would have missed out on the taper attachment, would have gained a 2" spindle bore though. I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

If someone wants a smaller lathe in the 11x27 size, that little 1127 VFD drive lathe he has is a neat little machine. Which is what I started out wanting. It didnt take long to put together a few "want to do projects" that were too much for that smaller machine so I upsized.