Old Colchester Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Ian Smith

Old Colchester Lathe

Post by Ian Smith »

I have just purchased a very old flat belt driven Colcester gap bed machine, in VG condition. It has "The Mascot" cast on the bedway under the spindle, a threadcutting table brass plaque on the headstock, and "The Colchester Lathe Co Hythe Colchester" on a brass plaque at the tailstock end of the bedway. It has a chain drive to the feed shaft, for sliding and surfacing, I am in the process of reconditioning it, making a couple of new bearings for the drive belt assy on my Chipmaster. I am fascinated to find its history, and so far cannot find anything like it on the net. Can anybody help? In the photo, the 3- belt sheave is removed fron the spindle.
Attachments
DSC00499.JPG
eeengineer

Re: Old Colchester Lathe

Post by eeengineer »

Did you try Tony's site in the uK?
http://www.lathes.co.uk/

Here is a similar lathe but I dont find one like yours.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/bantam/page4.html

I think you should drop a note to him. this may be a rare find.

It wont be the first old Colchester that he did not know about.

Jim B.
Jim B.
S.B. Heavy 10
S. B 9" workshop
Burke #4 Mill
Springfield 15" Shaper
Ian Smith

Post by Ian Smith »

Roger that
spro

Post by spro »

I would try "gap bed" primarily, in search. There are certain things which really stand out. The handcrank is to the right of the apron which is a totally dedicated gapbed. The bed design is parabolic which again is the right way to make a gapbed.
Arthur ritus

Post by Arthur ritus »

Hi, I know this thread is a bit old now but I hope you are still listening in.

I too have a Colchester Mascot the same as yours although not apearently in as good condition. At the moment it is sheeted up in the yard on trial, I have another machine a slightly younger IXL with pretty much the same dimensions (although much lighter).

I was looking forward to fixing all its little problems but this other machine came along at a price that made the effort hard to justify. Also this has a v-way bed which hopefully will stay accurate as it wears and a very nice 3 jaw- mine had a large crack in it.
On your photo the removeable gap piece is missing, do you not have it?
This is the only other one I have been able to find they seem pretty scarce. The only info is from colchester web sites history page where this machine was made from 1914 to 1918 for the ministry ( economy version?), where about in the world are you It seems strange they would have made it outside the uk.
I do have a lot of affection for this machine and the thought of scrapping it breaks my heart, especially so near its centenary, might get a card from the Queen!
Its very robust and the belt drive to the feed shaft is handy the way it spits off before doing any damage if you accidently engage surface feed instead of travel.
The two main problems I have is:
1. The headstock bearing is just a split shell running clearance adjusted by means of clamping. The problem is (when parting off) I had to have the clamp very tight to stop horizontal movement of the spindle. The Top clamp holding the top shell if free to meve with lots of clearance on the studs leaving only the pressure applied to the bottom shell to prevent movement. Even with the studs too tight (really 1 should be tight with the other with a gap tightened as neccessary but this didn't work) the dti showed movement of the shell in the housing. I glued the bottom shell into its housing with loctite which made it alot better unfortunately I had already bought the IXL (which the clamp locks fully down with a tapered bearing and adjustment is by 2 locknuts, much better).
2. There is alot of wear on the tailstock base into the bed, it isn't a significant problem for drilling but turning between centres was a night mare. I would speng most of the time taking a small cut measuring the taper, adjustng the tail stock etc until it was parrallel but if the tail stock was disturbed it would all have to be done again. The side ways movement wasn,t so bad but the base has worn rounded meaning there was a lot of movement at the end of the centre. It would be quite a job to machine the base and fit a shim, preferabally an adjustable one ( v-way for tailstock much better).
As I am desperately short on steel stock, room and money the future is looking very bleak for this ugly old tuffy, kinda like an old landrover of the lathe world practical but not very refined.

Good luck any way I really wish I had the room (for some reason her in doors will not let it come in the house, bad memories of my little portass in the bedroom, the swarf really sticks to carpet slippers).

Mark.
Ian Smith

Post by Ian Smith »

To: Mark "Arhur Ritus"
I live in Newcastle, Australia. For this machine to be in Australia in the first place is very interesting, due to its age. I would be fascinated to discover its history.
I have had Colchester Australia in communication. They are very interested in progress of repairs etc, and want to do a story on the machine when repairs are finished. Apparently very rare, and in fact built 1909. The serial number is P392. The first machine that rolled off the line had a serial number **78 or so.
I have so far made new headstock belt sheave bearings, new cross slide screw 3/4 acme 4TPI, new cross slide nut. Interesting about the crack in your machine. There is one in mine too, but quite well repaired. Whereabouts is the crack in your unit?

Regards
Ian
DaveTTC

Post by DaveTTC »

Ian I don't know if you are still about but would love to know how you went that lathe. I have the same one

Regards

Dave
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

DaveTTC wrote:Ian I don't know if you are still about but would love to know how you went that lathe. I have the same one

Regards

Dave
Ian has not paid us a visit since March of 2011.

Welcome to the board.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
DaveTTC

Post by DaveTTC »

Thanks Harold,

I will have ot have a look around the forum, no doubt there is an introduction section.

The lathe above looks identical to mine. I will try and post some pics soon or even now if it works. Picture was too big ... wil have to try another time
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

DaveTTC wrote: Picture was too big ... wil have to try another time
Picture size is limited on this board, as it should be on all boards--to prevent text spread.

Here's a link that will provide a free program that will resize both pixel count and file size.

http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

Overly large file size limits or even eliminates folks with a dial-up connection----so it's wise to keep the file size reasonable, too.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.