New lathe - Precision Matthews 1127-VF

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Vern2

New lathe - Precision Matthews 1127-VF

Post by Vern2 »

I started with a HF9x20 in the image below, then a HF12x37. You can see the 12x37 in my link above signature, under Home Projects: Trailer. I hope this one will be just right (three bears). I really wanted variable speed and much smaller then the 1000lb 12x37, but bigger then 150lb 9x20. I'm in 1/2 of a 2 car garage. It's too hot out their right now in Arizona 110 degrees everyday now, better weather is right around the corner.

The 9x20 weights less then the HF8x12 at 180lbs.

One thing, this lathe has VF in it's name. That has nothing to do with VFD. The motor is a 1 hr DC with a variable speed control built in. It has a 110v AC cord. There is no three phase motor. There site is not discribing motor correctly. I got the stright scrop when I started to pin down the speed control and what they said about an AC motor, It's a DC motor.http://precisionmatthews.com/LatheDRO.html

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-1127-VF.html See the videos at the bottom of web site above.

Having DRO XY added. I can't afford CNC lathe. I'm hopping it will increase productivity. Making lead screws, bushing blocks ... Solar stuff.

Delivery date?? It takes an extra day because I'm having DRO installed my them. I'm hopping the DROs will speed me up on the lathe.

http://www.enichesoftware.com/
PixMan

Re: Take three (new lathe)

Post by PixMan »

Well, I do sincerely wish you the very best with the new machine. Take advantage of the offers you've gotten to have a long-experienced machinist from here work with you for a day or two when you get it. It'll be worth the trouble. Looks like a very nice little machine, and fully-featured.
Fullautomike

Post by Fullautomike »

Looks nice. I really like the DRO option. :D Which axis will the DRO read?
PixMan

Post by PixMan »

Fullautomike wrote:Looks nice. I really like the DRO option. :D Which axis will the DRO read?
Presumably, both X and Z. I've never seen a single-axis DRO put on a lathe.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I asked before on the previous thread, where are you located? As a recent newbie myself, I can attest that an hour with someone who knows what they are doing is worth weeks of frustration.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Vern2

Post by Vern2 »

PaxMan
I figured out what happened on the HF12x37. The compound was at an angle. The power cross feed moved a very short distance 1 1/2" and hit the follow rest I had not taken off yet and broke a gear. Thanks for your comment.

Fullautomike
I'm only thinking it will be on the cross slide Y and apprin X. Have no idea where the display will be mounted. Matt is very busy with the new shipment of machines that just came in.

Russ
I'm in the Phoenix area (Gilbert AZ) and your right on. I have no access to a machinist. If I go to a auto shop, they might have a lathe to do breaks. That just won't work.

I just found out the lathe has shipped.
BadDog

Re: New lathe - Precision Matthews 1127-VF

Post by BadDog »

Check out the Valley Metal Yahoo Group and their web page. These are great guys and several live near you. I'm in the North PV area (N Mtn Preserve), but if nothing more convenient else comes around, I'll try to find some time to get down there after you get the new lathe in.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Vern2

Post by Vern2 »

Russ,

I'm in Gilbert, 1.5 miles south of (202 south) on Gilbert Rd. The Precision Matthews lathe is due in next week or first of the following week. You said your new to the forum, but have experence in a machine shop. I've watched every threading video on You Tube, about 15. I've also read alot about it. I've had people explain it to me. I've done it many different ways. I even went as far as makimg threads without disengaging the half nut, still no good. I know about major and minor thread size. I know threading backward and forward, I have the reading part down. I just can't turn that into doing it on the lathe. Nuts will not go onto my threads more then a couple turns. It's like I've making the wrong pitch. I refuse to buy another lathe without a low rpm of 50. That's why the Precision Matthews with variable speed looked so nice with 50 rpm and Grizzly's 11x26 had a low of 150 rpm. Maybe with a new lathe my problems will clear up, if it is a pitch problem.
DarbinCo

Post by DarbinCo »

I considered that lathe when buying mine but figured it would be too small down the road. I ended up with a PM 13x40 with a DRO and I am very happy with it. Matt is a good guy, helpful and straight forward when it comes to his machines. I am glad I went that route instead of Grizzly or some of the others.
pete

Post by pete »

Vern,
If that's the 11"x27" lathe built by Weiss I bought one awhile ago but have yet to use due to home renos and a shop reno getting in the way. From what little I've checked it out tho I'm happy with what I see. So far I've never read a bad word about Precision Mathews or Matt either.

Pete
DarbinCo

Post by DarbinCo »

Pete
There was a difference between the Weiss and the PM machine IIRC, does your Weiss have a metric or standard lead screw? I thought it was something like that.... :?:

Matt had told me, or I had read it somewhere at one time but I cant remember.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Vern2 wrote:You said your new to the forum, but have experence in a machine shop.
Sorry, but I believe you have me mixed up with someone else. I was (am?) a newbie in every sense of the word. Only about 3 (or is it 4 now) years ago I bought my first lathe (Griz 9x20) and turned my first "round thing". I've since become fairly capable in general usage, including being quite comfortable with threading. But by no means am I an expert in any way.

Like I said, join the group and get to know the folks. If there isn't someone closer willing (I bet there is), and preferably with a similar lathe that they are familiar with, I'll find time to get down there, though it may take a few weeks. Right now work and helping my son remodel his first house keeps me hopping!
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper