Clover 14/20 lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Re: Clover 14/20 lathe

Post by SteveM »

The original poster has not posted since 2016, so he may not see this.

When you say: " I cant get it to thread properly", can you be more specific?

You may just need to do trial and error on the gears until you can get the carriage to travel at the correct rate.

I suggest installing a long bolt in the chuck, pointing a tool at it, setting the gearbox for that thread and running the lathe to see if the pointer follows the thread, moves slower or moves faster.

Adjust the positioning of gears until it follows and then all the ratios on the gear box should be good.

Post some pictures would help.

Steve
Blacksheep Custom

Post by Blacksheep Custom »

I have a Summit-16 that looks exactly like yours. The only difference is the name plates. When I got mine is was particularly taken apart and I can't find any info on it. I need the change gear setup and a parts manual.

Thanks
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

I have a Clover 17/25 but had wanted a manual. I found a company in Italy whom I reached out to and inquired about availability. I was quoted around $200 . I don’t like the machine enough to warrant the expense so I didn’t go any further.
I would contact Summit lathes and ask about the manual and gears, and if they don’t have them ask who built the lathe for them.

Nyle
Blacksheep Custom

Post by Blacksheep Custom »

I contacted Summit and was able to get a manual for my Summit 16. Unfortunately, they no longer sell parts for my lathe.