New to me Logan 11" model 1955: just about done, pix page 3

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

EvilTwin

Re: New to me Logan 11" model 1955

Post by EvilTwin »

Still working on this puppy, been slow up until the last week due to school and other commitments. Got the bed, headstock and tailstock stripped, cabinets stripped and painted. Hopefully will get the bed painted along with the headstock and start putting it all back together.

oldvan

Post by oldvan »

Looking good!

Did you forget something for the ways?
Last edited by oldvan on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

oldvan wrote:Did you forget something for the ways?
Perhaps that is why the ways are blue! :wink:
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
oldvan

Post by oldvan »

Sorry about that. Open mouth, foot flies in all on its own some times.

Note to self: Look more closely at pictures and NOT when half asleep BEFORE posting.
EvilTwin

Post by EvilTwin »

Yep, everything that is machined gets blue tape. Maybe this photo shows it better:

I'm not done with the priming, I ran out of the rattlecan I was using, should be able to get to it tomorrow and get the interior webbing and maybe shoot the whole thing with the gun this weekend. At that point I will start actual reassembly, right now the base cabinets and pedestals are just sitting together.

Here is a little Dunlap hacksaw I am working on along with the lathe. I started it at the same time since I had to drag the sandblast cabinet out of the shed. I've got parts all over the place, the garage has been a disaster area for a while now... :roll:

RyanPitch

Post by RyanPitch »

Just wanted to chime in with my Model 1922 rebuild. I've been making a website here:
http://www.ThePitchingMachine.com/lathe/LoganLathe.html

It might/might not help you out. You and I are probably at the exact same spot on our rebuilds. I have one last question.

Please let me know if you can answer this one.
What is the purpose of the set screw in the apron (shown below):
Note that I do not have that set screw. Mine is missing.

In affixing my saddle to the apron as shown here:
when I tighten the two allen bolts, the cross feed gear/handwheel bind up a little bit. It's like they get tight.

When I back off the allen head bolts, the handwheel turns freely. Is that set screw specifically to keep the saddle up away from the apron (by maybe 0.020" or so only?) so that the gears inside can turn freely?

Thanks for your help. Nice paint job, by the way. I've been shooting mine with a gun, and MAN was the paint stripping a pain. If I knew then what I know now, I would've paid someone to sandblast all the parts for me. What a pain...
EvilTwin

Post by EvilTwin »

Ryan
I checked out your site, very nice, some of those pix will help me out. Right now, I'm a bit stuck. I've been trying to put the quick change gearbox back together, and I'm having a time with the change gears. I was real careful in keeping them in order but going back, they are too long to fit into the length of the box by a decent fraction. Not sure what is going on, my guess is that there is a gear in there that doesn't belong, but so far I cant tell which one.

I've also got the saddle apart and painted, but haven't yet started to reassemble. Your pix will be a big help even though I did shoot my own during disassembly.

Bob

Back of gearbox, not enough room for all the gears:

Progress so far:
dly31

Post by dly31 »

Looking at your picture, it seems that the smallest cone gear, just above the 'L' in the casting is wider than the others. I suspect that gear may belong elsewhere.
Don Young
EvilTwin

Post by EvilTwin »

dly31 wrote:Looking at your picture, it seems that the smallest cone gear, just above the 'L' in the casting is wider than the others. I suspect that gear may belong elsewhere.
True dat. But if you look at this picture, that gear is proportionally wider than the rest. I was real careful keeping them all in order.

dly31

Post by dly31 »

That is one of those things that will continue to seem impossible until you find the cause. Until then you will just have to assume that the case has shrunk or the gears have swollen! I do notice a small space left of the largest gear but I assume you have taken care of that. Please let us know the solution when you find it. To me it seems the only possibility is a mixup of the gears or the spacer, somehow. Is there another similar spacer somewhere?
Don Young
EvilTwin

Post by EvilTwin »

Success. I had the gears in order, but it took some maneuvering to get them in, extremely tight fit. But it all spins so life is good. Drivetrain is going back together too with new bearings, should be able to mount the motor back in soon.
gbritnell

Post by gbritnell »

Your cleanup is coming along great. When I got mine it was clean enough that I didn't have to do all the work you're doing. I just had to disassemble it to get it in the basement. I had a 9" Southbend previously and this one is much better although it would be nice to get a little more spindle speed out of it.
gbritnell