Southbend 14 X 40 Gear Head Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

plumberzpieco

Re: Southbend 14 X 40 Gear Head Lathe

Post by plumberzpieco »

I got things sorted and now my speed ranges are roughly 50-300rpm and 300-1800rpm. Exactly as the system was designed with a 1725rpm motor. Anything higher or lower would need to be accomplished with a vfd and I’m not going to go that route as discussed in earlier threads.

The digital tach I installed came from eBay and the sensor is a bit different than most I’ve seen. It is flat and not round like most. It actually required two magnets 180 degrees opposite each other to read the proper rpm. One magnet gets you half the rpm. Of course there Are no instructions explaining this. I had to figure it out by trial and error. Here’s a pic of the sensor bracket and magnets. I have yet to get an enclosure for the display. I’m using an old cell phone charger for the 9v power source.
image.jpg
Rather odd first two pics are sideways and I can seem to correct.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

If you find a little spare time, it is my opinion that it wouldn't be wasted on removing the gear train and cleaning up the gears. They appear to me to be loaded with grease that is contaminated with chips and other detritus that isn't in the best interest of longevity. Scraping, followed by a bath in solvent would be time well spent.

There are open gear lubes on the market that will remain where put, and a small amount goes a long way. I'm using an obsolete Keystone product, which comes in a spray can. Goes on easily, and the solvent evaporates quite quickly, leaving behind a reasonable amount of lubrication. Keystone has a replacement for the obsolete product, although I can't provide any information. There's likely other sources as well.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Keystone. I'm just a well satisfied user of their old product.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

+1 what Harold said. I noticed the oil and grease but didn’t notice it, so to speak, in your photos. Main reason I would clean it up is to keep all that gummy residue out of the vee drive belts. Iam not sure these lathes even call for grease in that area. Mine is pretty dry. Have to go read the Manuel and see if SB recommended anything there, back in the day.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
plumberzpieco

Post by plumberzpieco »

Thanks for the input. I figured I’d get the drive knocked out of the way first and then move on to cleaning it up. I’ve had too many projects that I dig in to too deeply and then get pushed aside when I get distracted. I really need to thin the stables a bit.

Thanks again Z
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I was recently contacted by a member that is looking at buying this particular lathe.

In my (Hobby) experience I have learned to really enjoy this lathe. I use it more than any of the ones I own.

That being said, I would caution anyone buying one to really look at the Reeves variable speed drive while it is running before you buy it. Parts for the drive, while out there are not on the cheap side. you can easily double the money you have in the purchase if you have to start replacing the drive.

That said. I truly enjoy mine.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Me to. I found the flame hardened ways are really resistant to wear. I bought mine after 40 years of service in a couple of different shops. The wear is hardly detectable.

One thing of note: the Reeves belt can take a set and really bounce around and knock when it reaches end of life. Mine Sounded like a gear in the headstock broke apart while under power. But- NOPE. Replace the belt with a new one (still widely available) and good as new.

(Reeves drives are still used all over the place in automated material movement tables in warehouses)

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....