Southbend 14 X 40 Gear Head Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Southbend 14 X 40 Gear Head Lathe

Post by Pipescs »

The pump is back in place and working.

It runs off the eccentric on the main shaft with tubes running to the front and back main bearing
DSC_0169.jpg
DSC_0170.jpg
DSC_0171.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Thie pile of un clean parts grows smaller.
DSC_0184.jpg
The Apron is cleaned up and repaired but I need to go by an autoparts to purchase the material to make a gasket for the pan in the back that holds the oil for the clutch.
DSC_0179.jpg
The Handwheel was broken during what I now know must have been a roll over at somepoint in its life. It had been rewelded sometime in its life and I am now cleaning it up with a grinding stone getting it ready to paint
DSC_0172.jpg
Painted the speed control cover last night. Still have two covers to paint that go on the end of the lathe covering the gearbox and motor.
DSC_0174.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Ended up having to go deeper into the apron than I planned.

The felt oil wick that feeds the worm screw was broken off at one end and laying in the bilge area. It was not able to carry oil up to the bearing area.

I also had the clutch plates slip to far apart and they came out of alignment on the inner shaft. Ended up pulling the whole mess and cleaning the area prior to putting the plates back in place. They are clean and in good shape.

Overall the apron had very few shavings in the bilge area.

Having looked everywhere local to Lester Alabama I went ahead and ordered thefelt from Southbend and as I had to make a minimum order I went ahead and ordered a cross feed handle as my broken one is really eating at my pride.

Plan on just cleaning up tonight and putting the shop back toward normal.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
spro

Post by spro »

Lester, your progress is really something :) Looks like you'll be in the home stretch soon. I was thinking as if it were mine , what Could happen... I had noticed that you left the lead screw in while the cariage was off. It might be good to see the way it is pinned or keyed into the qc . I notice it had only the one screw. A lot of similar damage could occur if I, for instance were to run the tool right up into the head while in powerfeed. So, often the pin is a soft pin. So often before it breaks it becomes half sheared. I'm not sure your clutches protect against the jam up. Sometimes a broken pin is replaced with a roll pin or a hardened pin which Defeats any protection of damage in a jam up. Pardon me if you already checked on this. Their special Shearpin or shearkey whatever :)
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I have looked thru the drawings and find no sheer pin or clutch in either the apron or quick change box that would help in a crash.

From the looks of the back side of the compound area it has already happened at some time in it's life.
DSC_0102.jpg
The apron is back together except the worm gear which is waiting on the Felt oil wick to go in.
DSC_0221.jpg
One note on ordering parts from the Southbend Site. Every part number I have researched and put into the automated ordering system has come up as available and the three parts I have ordered were shipped within three days. For a thirty year old product this is not bad support in my eyes. Granted it was never ment to be a hobbiest lathe. I have had the same luck with Logan on my 1947 Model 400. If it moves and is a part that can wear away they carry it.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
spro

Post by spro »

Les. You leave me in the backyard tangle by your advancement. I commend you. I just think it would be good to check if a soft part was supposed to go before catastrophe.
YOU KNOW FOLKS, I HAVE NO BUSINESS TALKING ABOUT CATASTROPHE. So much .
crazyelece

Post by crazyelece »

your lathe looks great. So far I am still waiting on the vfd for mine. It has been a little crazy here at work + I had to go out of town last week for some training. I am planning on tearing into the head sometime this week to check out that oil pump, do you need power to check it or can you see it spinning it by hand?
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

The pump is easy to access and work on.

First remove the side door that hinges on the slanted panel on the back of the head. It has four fasteners.

Then pull the cover off the speed control unit.

The speed control unit has five or six allen head screws going thru its base into the headstock.

After you remove them set the speed control on the tabel being carefull not to break any wiring.

You can put the lathe in neutral and should see plenty of oil pumping by simply truning the shaft by hand. I had the chuck installed so it gave me a handhold to spin it with.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Forgot to mention the gasket.

It is 1/8 inch fiber and you will need to break it loose with a putty Knife if it is like mine. I had no proble with it breaking.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Back from Utah. Would not want to live there

Managed to get the felt wiper on that I ordered from Southbend. The reason I ordered it was that I could not find the flat hard felt like I removed form the apron. Trouble is that the felt I recieved from Southbend is a wimpy little piece that I could have cut from a piece of felt from Hobby Lobby or a fabric store.

The apron is now mounted and everthing seems to work now when you rotate the chuck and work all the controls.
DSC_0226.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
crazyelece

Post by crazyelece »

Well I finally got to open it up today and to my surprise its actually low on oil. Looked full from the sight glass so it must just be dirty or filmed up or something. Is it just 90W gear oil in there (smells like it to me) or is something more specialized than that? The good news is that I can see the pump moving in and out and it sounds like its working, bad news is I can see the end of the suction tube the oil is so low.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Sight glasses and bullseyes are notorious for being honey colored or darker from age and oil. They outta be cleaned at least every DECADE.. :wink:
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.