Jet 1430 What Have I gotten into?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

rrnut-2

Re: Jet 1430 What Have I gotten into?

Post by rrnut-2 »

Safety Blue. Its popular in industry.

Jim B
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Pipescs wrote:Thanks Richard W

The chuck came off as you said. Very tight fit after I pulled the bolts. Took a rubber mallet to pull it free. The owner before me had it ten years and never pulled the chuck. I expected more rust.

It seems tight and most of the scraping is still visible. What did the cover over the felt look like?
You can see the cover in the ebay photo here if you still need to look at it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jet-1430-Lathe- ... SwCypWpt4z
Dbuilder81

Post by Dbuilder81 »

I know this thread is pretty old but how have you liked the lathe so far? I have my eye on one also, what about replacement parts, does anyone know where I can get a four jaw chuck?
Dbuilder81

Post by Dbuilder81 »

Nancy, are you all at this address? Can you still email the manual?

Nancy at JET wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:43 am Hi

I have a Manual for the JET 1430 Engine Lathe with specifications; and if anyone is interested in obtaining a copy, I can be emailed at
nmaccara@jetgroupbrands.com and I will scan and email you the manual
It's years old, but in great shape for emailing

Also a parts list for a JET 1024 Bench Lathe with specifications

Nancy
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Would not count on much in the way of parts being available from JET or any other place. Once you ID the spindle type and size chucks can be had from Shars-CDCO-CME etc. A Chinese 4 jaw will be fine and likely better than a well used one. I have bought several chucks from CME and seem to be of decent quality.
www.chaski.com
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

John Evans wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:42 pm I have bought several chucks from CME and seem to be of decent quality.
That's good to know!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Dbuilder81

Post by Dbuilder81 »

John Evans wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:42 pm Would not count on much in the way of parts being available from JET or any other place. Once you ID the spindle type and size chucks can be had from Shars-CDCO-CME etc. A Chinese 4 jaw will be fine and likely better than a well used one. I have bought several chucks from CME and seem to be of decent quality.

Sorry I didn't have the replies set up to automatically notify me.

Do any of you guys know any where you can find a manual for it? I found one it's got a royal collet closer on the back of it, I don't know if it has the collet nose for it , wonder where you could find that? Elsewise like our Hardinge , you won't be able to squeeze the 5C collet. It comes with a spare backing plate, so I can just machine the back of a Chinese four jaw Chuck in order to mount to it.