Quality of this keyless chuck?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

Kaoma

Quality of this keyless chuck?

Post by Kaoma » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:30 am

Again have misplaced the key from my drill chuck (in the tailstock) and had to stop the work. How is the quality of this chuck?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8583
Is it better to have a keyed or keyless chuck in the tailstock?
I am ambidextrous!
I screw up with the left hand just as good as with the right hand.

Harold_V

Re: Quality of this keyless chuck?

Post by Harold_V » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:25 pm

If you do any power tapping, a keyed chuck can be to advantage.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

Kaoma

Post by Kaoma » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:40 pm

To be used for power tapping, hand tapping with a spring loaded guide in the drill chuck in the tail stock or general drilling operations.
I am ambidextrous!

Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:37 pm

I prefer keyed.

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:17 pm

The one disadvantage of a keyless is that the torque tightens it. If you have a lot of torque (e.g. large drill), it can get REALLY tight and you won't be able to get it open by hand. That's why you see some Albrechts with vice grip / channelock marks on them.

I don't use the Albrechts on the lathe for that reason. If I had a small chuck on a sliding holder for hand-feed drilling, then an Albrecht would be fine.

I have a Jacobs 1/2 in super chuck on the lathe and if I need something bigger, I have a Jacobs plain-bearing 5/8" chuck.

If your old chuck is OK, just get a new key. Bring the chuck to the store to be sure you get the right one.

Steve

EdK

Post by EdK » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:19 am

You can buy replacement keys at most hardware stores.

I prefer keyed chucks myself.

Ed
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.

Kaoma

Post by Kaoma » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:52 am

I got a key (3) but I have a talent of loosing things like nobodyelse...
I am ambidextrous!

flutedchamber

Post by flutedchamber » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:41 pm

I prefer a keyed older (made in USA) Jacobs chuck. But..that's just me.

The interesting thing with Grizzly is in their product descriptions. I never could figure out how many thousandths is in one "exceptional."

pete

Post by pete » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:09 pm

As already mentioned, It's not a great idea to use the larger silver and demming type drill bits in a keyless. But they are really handy and fast to use for the smaller drills. For what Grizzly wants for those chucks I'd spend a little over $100 and buy a integral shank keyless from Glacern Machine Tools. I also own a Albrecht and the Glacern chucks check out really well in comparision. I have no experience with the higher end Jacobs, But I've read numerous posts about the quality and accuracy in the new chucks and arbours not being anything close to the older ones. I'm not 100% sure it's right but I just read one the other day stateing that Jacobs allowable runout for arbours is now .003. I'd be embarassed if I turned an arbour with that much runout on my cheap Chinese lathe. Their arbours are ground, It should be .0002 at least. Maybe it was a typo?

Flutedchamber,
Yeah "exceptional" doesn't really give you a hard and fast number to check them to. I've also seen exceptionally good and exceptionally bad.

Pete

stevec

Post by stevec » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:24 pm

In my opinion "Silver and Demming" drills should be outlawed or at least relegated to drilling cheese or particle board.
If they must be used for metal they should have their spindley little shanks machined or ground with three 120deg. flats.
At least then, when used in machine powerful enough to drill a hole that much larger than the shank it'll snap off and encourage the use of a proper tool.
(phew! that felt good!)

pete

Post by pete » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:50 pm

Steve,
LOL, Sure your not not holding back a bit on how you really think? I don't use them in a drill chuck in my mill anyway. ER-40 collet chuck works far better IMO.

Pete

flutedchamber

Post by flutedchamber » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:22 pm

pete wrote: Flutedchamber,
Yeah "exceptional" doesn't really give you a hard and fast number to check them to. I've also seen exceptionally good and exceptionally bad.

Pete
Pete,

I have found when a manufacturer uses words to describe their products accuracy instead of numbers it always means they are hiding something. Go on the Jacobs or Albrecht website along with other name brands and you will find numbers concerning their accuracy.

The accuracy of the Jacobs chucks is not a misprint. The old 'tight' tolerances no long apply with the chucks being made in China.