AXA tool holders don't Quite fit...

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

torchmd

AXA tool holders don't Quite fit...

Post by torchmd »

Hey everyone,

I bought some AXA tool post holders (250-02) from an ebay site. 2 of them fit perfectly, but 2 are too tight, they won't fit on my wedge type QCTP.

Sending them back is not an option, as they were so cheap, shipping is more than the cost! (I know, you get what you pay for.... but they were $8!)

So, what is the best method of opening them up a bit? I figure they only need a couple of thousands off, but the finish on the inside of the dovetail is very smooth, so I don't think that filing is going to be the right method. I worry that sanding won't leave the surface flat enough, as I will have to get into the inside of the dovetail. I was thinking about using a triangular stone to reach into the dovetail, and gently open them up. I don't have a triangular stone.... but that is another problem.

Failing that, I may take a piece of hardwood, and cut it into a 60 degree angle and glue sandpaper to the outside edge, and just slowly work these, then polish them back up.

Is there an easier way? Besides throwing them away and buying 2 more, of course.

Thanks much for the time,

Michael
SteveM

Re: AXA tool holders don't Quite fit...

Post by SteveM »

I had one like that. I used a 60 degree triangular file by hand until it fit. I literally had to remove a few thou. It may not technically be perfect, but it works.

You can check what you need to remove my putting a pair of dowel pins in the vees and checking the distance. Then do that with a known good one and compare.

Steve
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

They are generally made to seat on the outer flat machined surface, and the dove tails. The bottom of the dove tail should be clear by 10 to 20 thou or so. That means you can take a few thou off of the flat outer surface and it should fit nicely, it won't take much. Ideally you would do this with a surface grinder, but some fine wet-dry on a granite surface plate (held with water) and worked carefully (figure 8) should turn out well enough.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
torchmd

Post by torchmd »

Ahhh so I could potentially just take more off the back and that would widen the dovetail. Didn't think of that. Thanks BadDog!

Steve, I was worried about going after it with a file and not keeping it flat. Did you have any difficulty following the profile?

This gives me more confidence to try!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

My issue was different than BadDog's. I had to make the space wider where the dovetail met the inside flat space in the holder, so the file was needed.

I checked with dowel pins to be sure I wasn't making it crooked. Seems to work OK. The tool was a shop-made parting tool I picked up from a retired machinist. It probably fit an Aloris post to the tenth, but not my Phase II.

Steve
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Good point, you need to identify the interference point.

If the dovetail is just too pointy, that's one problem (Steve's).

If the dovetail is too narrow relative to the seating surface but clearing on the points, then that is the problem/solution I described.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper