Headstock and Gearbox Oil Question

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Headstock and Gearbox Oil Question

Post by seal killer »

All--

I have a new Grizzly G0709 (manual page 57) lathe. The manual says to use VG32 or L-FC15 or Mobil Velocite 10 in the headstock. The manual says to use HL32 or VG68 or L-HM46 in the apron.

Where can I buy this stuff? What might I use that is locally available?

Thanks!

--Bill
You are what you write.
GlennW

Re: Headstock and Gearbox Oil Question

Post by GlennW »

I believe you will find that these will work.

This will cover the Headstock:
Mobil D.T.E. 24 from Enco, ISO/VG32, Item No. 505-1206

This will cover the apron:
Mobil D.T.E. 26 from Enco, ISO/VG68 Item No. 505-1210
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn--

Thank you, Kind Sir!

--Bill
You are what you write.
akajun

Post by akajun »

Glenn, I emailed Grizzly about this, and like you, I found their oil recomendations lacking. The rep recomended either low viscosity hydraulic fluid or Velocite 10 for the headstock, and vactra 2 for everything else.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It is pretty confusing. :?

Mobil D.T.E. is a hydraulic (circulating) oil and is what is recommended in many lathes, and is available in ISO/VG 32 and 68. My Nardini calls for it in the headstock, QC gearbox, and carriage.

Mobil Vactra 1 and Vactra 2 are in fact a ISO/VG 32 and 68 oils as well, but both are categorized as slide way oils.

Mobil Velocite 10 is a high speed spindle oil and is actually a ISO/VG 22 oil, so I'm not sure why Grizzly infers that it is a ISO/VG 32 oil.

I'm not sure I would consider my lathe with a 2000 rpm roller bearing spindle a "high speed spindle". :)

Possibly more research is required.

Hwere is the scoop on Mobil D.T.E. oils:

Applications:
Hydraulic systems critical to deposit build-up such as sophisticated Numerically Controlled (NC) machines, particularly where close clearance servo-valves are used
Where small amounts of water are unavoidable
Applications where sludges and deposits form with conventional products
In systems containing gears and bearings
Systems requiring a high degree of load-carrying capability and anti-wear protection
Applications where thin oil-film corrosion protection is an asset such as systems where small amounts of water are unavoidable
Machines employing a wide range of components using various metallurgy
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn and akajun--

I am going to ask Grizzly and see what they say. Glenn, please tell me if I have formulated the question correctly for Grizzly . . .

"I am confused about what oil to use in the headstock of my new G0709. The manual (page 57) says to use an ISO VG 32 oil or Mobil Velocite 10. Mobil Velocite 10 is an ISO VG 22 oil. Which should be used, ISO VG 32 or ISO VG 22?"

--Bill
You are what you write.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

The ISO-22 is a VERY light oil. I've seen it used only in spindles with speeds at or exceeding 4k. Typical light mill spindles like my BP 2J would be an example. ISO-32 is more typical for 1500-2000 rpm spindles like your lathe and mine. Of course that's just my limited experience and exposure forming my view of "typical". It really comes down to design and (tight) tolerances, so generally "manufacturer knows best". As far as I can see, your question should get you the answer you need, if only they are competent to provide the correct answer. ;) Unfortunately, in these days of outsourcing (possibly to the country of origin in this case) support to Bangladesh(etc), they often have nothing more than the same manual (or scripts derived from same manual) as you have.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Bill

I'm with Russ on this, but your question looks fine.

The 22, 32, and 68 are viscosity ratings and disclose the "thickness" of the oil, 68 being of heavier thickness than the 22. ISO and VG are rating indexes, which appear to be the same, some use ISO, some use VG, possibly one is a European index and the other a US index, dunno.

you're splling gramar and punktuation look good to :D
Glenn

seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn and Russ--

My research last night reveals exactly that. I will pose the question to Grizzly and see what they say.

Thanks!

--Bill
ps I'll report back.
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Grizzly provided a good, educational response to my question about oil . . .

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your email dated November 20, 2011.

We appreciate your questions regarding the G0709 Gunsmith’s Metal Lathe. The best oil to use in the gearbox will depend on your environment and usage. ISO VG32 is commonly used. However, if your shop is very cold and the machine is used for short periods of time, you could use the Mobile Velocite 10 oil. If your shop is very warm and the machine will be running for long periods of time, you could actually go as high as SAE 20 or SAE 30 weight non-detergent oil.

If we may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to serving you.

Sincerely,

Justin
Technical Service
Grizzly Industrial, Inc.

This means Glenn wins the prize.

--Bill
You are what you write.
gaston

Post by gaston »

I use the same "oil" I use in the tractor hydraulic system. Always have 5 gal. around and I've been told its just non det. 30 weight anyway. my lathe (Voest 210) seems happy with it.
The leaky apron may start getting 90wt gear oil if I don't get around to fixing it.!!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

gaston--

I use Harley Davidson Type E fork oil on the ways of my mill! :)

--Bill
You are what you write.