Centering a Round Work Piece in a Four Jaw Chuck

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Centering a Round Work Piece in a Four Jaw Chuck

Post by SteveHGraham »

HAROLD says:
Truth is, when you work in a trade, as I did, and you have concern for the work you turn out (as I did), you learn how to do things well--or you don't survive (I did). You get to the point where you simply won't do things certain ways, which are often commonly accepted as being normal.
I understand that completely. A bunch of idiots did some horrible work on my house, and I showed them all their screwups, and one of them asked me if my work was perfect, and I said, "Yes it is." In my work as a lawyer, a few typos got by me, but I never sent anything to a judge or opposing counsel until I knew it was done as well as I could do it.

I am a crap machinist, however.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
stevec

Post by stevec »

Harold_V wrote:I'm more concerned with how I look when I make statements like I did.
Don't worry, anyone genuinly interested in this pastime/vocation will readily learn the worth of your experience. It may take a little time but it's a hopless case who doesn't eventually realize where to look for good advice.
Harold_V wrote: I don't mean to come off as being better than others, but you can take this to the bank. A guy that puts his ego in neutral, and has limited experience in machining, can learn a great deal from me---just as he can learn a great deal from others that have worked in the trade. Some folks simply can't put themselves there.
Amen.

And Steve, I don't know for sure, but I would never argue with your last statement.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

STEVEC said:
And Steve, I don't know for sure, but I would never argue with your last statement.
HA! Now I feel pretty smug.

Wait...
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.