Do you use a coolant system ?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mini bike

Do you use a coolant system ?

Post by Mini bike »

I was cuttin some mild steel the other night and was using cutting fluid as a lube (just painted on with acid brush). Stinks and still gets hots chips everywhere. Do any of you use a coolant system ? If so...what did you do to catch all the fluid in and what fluids do you use ? I have my machine in the basement on a maple wood table. Really don't want fluids all over the floor or table. Any othe suggestions appreciated !!
Thanx again,
Mini Bike
Harold_V

Re: Do you use a collant system ?

Post by Harold_V »

If you hope to use coolant and keep the area dry, you're out of luck unless you have a full enclosure. Even then, you might find some outside the machine.
I recommend a recirculating coolant system highly, but the machine must be built accordingly, otherwise there's no way to prevent a huge mess. I used to rely on Oil-Dri to pick up that which was lost.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

The plusses to coolant are better tool life and frequently better finish.

The minus is the mess. I have equipped most of my machines with drip pans even though I do not use coolant on all of them. It makes collecting the swarf much easier. For chip pans, I have a local shop with a brake and I get about 16 G sheets and have them shear and break to my sketches - usually end up with a 2-3" deep pan, and then I weld in the corners. I always put a 2" pipe collar or nipple out the bottom so I can collect fluid or sweep out the chips - the fitting is plugged when not in use. For coolant, I have a small tank and pump on a cart so in theory it can go to any machine, but it spends 95% of the time at the mill.

I use coolant most of the time, at least on larger projects, as I think the benefits outweight the headaches.
Mini bike

Post by Mini bike »

Thank you for your replies...I guess I still spray lube/ coolant as I go for now.
Thanx again !!
mikeamick

Post by mikeamick »

Thanks for starting this tread Mini .. I have been wondering about this my self.

Right now I use this oil type cutting fluid .. and .. my whole machine is just
covered with oily chips sticking to the machine. Geezzzz .. is there a cutting
or cooling fluid that isnt so oily. Its hard to clean up chips that are stuck to
everything with oil.

I got this little air-water mister thing with bits that I bought .. but .. I cant get it
to work. That would have been perfect .. I could have turned it down to a very
fine mist .. and ... cleanup would have been easy.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

mikeamick wrote:I got this little air-water mister thing with bits that I bought .. but .. I cant get it
to work. That would have been perfect .. I could have turned it down to a very
fine mist .. and ... cleanup would have been easy.
The use of a mist system results in an entire shop covered with concentrate (and dirt). If you think cleaning up is hard now, use the mist system for a while, then lets talk.

I used to use a Precise Vapor Mist system. I learned to hate the damned thing. Works great---but cleaning up the machine (and shop, in general) was very troublesome.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
mikeamick

Post by mikeamick »

got it ... but ... is there coolant that doesnt leave a greasy residue ?
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I am using Rustlick 5050, I think, which is mixed with water. So far it is behaving itself, I have over a year of intermittent use on the batch and I just add water as it evaporates. No rust issues that I have observed.

I had a mist unit too, but flood coolant is almost less messy.
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Hi
First post on here, been reading lots with interest, but this one caught my attention specifically.
I only have a small 10x22 lathe and like most small lathes don't use coolant often but have need for hss finishing cuts.
I bought a small gravity feed system. Basically just 2 bottles, top one with hose and valve for supply, lower one mounts below for recovery. .not fitted that yet, still gotta find the pooling point to drill it.
But have a look at a system like this. .might suffice and cheap.
wrmiller19

Post by wrmiller19 »

I recently put a FogBuster on my bench mill and like it very much. No coolant mess everywhere (or fog) and it seems to work pretty well so far. I just flip the air switch on just before starting the cut and turn it off afterwards. I've been doing a lot of aluminum work recently so I have WD40 in the FogBuster. I'm not sure I'll ever put a water-based coolant in it as I've heard the stories of rust under the vice and whatnot.

Disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist doing mostly small stuff, but in talking to the makers these things are being used in commercial shops as well.
warmstrong1955

Re: Do you use a coolant system ?

Post by warmstrong1955 »

A note on Rustlick and Kool Mist.....
....is on exposed surfaces, the stuff evaporates and all is fine. No problem there.
After doing some work with a mister on my mill, I found some rust on the table when I removed the vise a week or two later.

Easy solution. After I complete a job, I remove anything clamped down, or just sitting.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
seal killer

Re: Do you use a coolant system ?

Post by seal killer »

Nugget--

Welcome to the forum!

Consider putting your location in your profile. People like that.

--Bill
You are what you write.