Smooth Cuts and Cutting Tools

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

stevec

Re: Smooth Cuts and Cutting Tools

Post by stevec »

I believe that is called a "shear" tool, something I have not yet tried but am looking forward to soon.
As Steve said, it removes very little material but produces a good finish.
swatson144

Post by swatson144 »

With that shear bit info I dound it is old news on here, as should be because it is nothing new,

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... hp?t=84313
for more on it.

Steve
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

All Old news is New News to me...with the benefit of standing the test of time...

I appreciate all the comments here...
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
swatson144

Post by swatson144 »

ctwo wrote:All Old news is New News to me...with the benefit of standing the test of time...

I appreciate all the comments here...
Glad to help! Seriously you can get a decent finish with that AR tool but it needs to be sharpened or replaced. I used a import that I dressed to do the rough cut on the sample stock. 570 rpm and .0055 feed. Pretty slow but I'm mostly too lazy to change speeds much unless I really need to. *note* that is not correct and one should change speed/feed/DOC to match the tool.

steve
JackF

Post by JackF »

Steve,

Thanks for the pics and further explanation. :D :D You learn something new everyday here at THM. Every tool I have used and seen used the forward top of the tool was the first point to come in contact with the part. I will definitely grind one of these tools and give it a try. Another advantage I can see is that the tool will find it's own center of the work, no need to set center, within reason. :wink:

Jack.
swatson144

Post by swatson144 »

About the center, there really isn't one as you can use the whole edge so it can be a long time before touch ups. I usually avoid the bottom and save it for when I need to get close to a shoulder.

Steve