Standard Modern 1700 and 9" Utilathe neglected and rusting

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

stevec

Re: Standard Modern 1700 and 9" Utilathe neglected and rusti

Post by stevec »

dirty, try sending a PM (personal message).
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

I'm sending it on to Bart. I just have to find the time to package it up properly so it doesn't bust out of the box if dropped. Went to our recycling depot here on Sunday and got some styro. Now if I can just find my glue gun..... :?
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

The tailstock parcel went out in yesterday's mail, 7.43kg's was $21. I hope Bart finds it useful and provides a good home. Nice to think it will be put to work once again, just hope he can find or adapt the needed part.
dirtyfilthybart

Post by dirtyfilthybart »

rustyh wrote:The tailstock parcel went out in yesterday's mail, 7.43kg's was $21. I hope Bart finds it useful and provides a good home. Nice to think it will be put to work once again, just hope he can find or adapt the needed part.
I'd just like to say, that anyone that's considering doing any kind of a transaction with Rusty, that he is one stand up guy! He shipped this tailstock to me on his own dime. He said "Just pay me back for the shipping after it arrives". As for the price, he refused to take any money from me. Way above and beyond the call, Rusty. Thanks so much!!!!
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

Thanks, glad you provided a home, good end to the shop fiasco. Keep us informed how you make out with the sliding quill hunt/fix.
Sal

Re: Standard Modern 1700 and 9" Utilathe neglected and rusting

Post by Sal »

Hi Rusty,
I see this is a very old post but thought I'd give it a try. I just purchased a very old and rusty Utilathe 9". Got it cleaned up and running but discovered the feedbox is bad. My guess is that it was never lubed and the gears are worn/ stripped. By any chance, do you still have the machine and is the gear box available? I've searched for the gears but no luck. I hope you can help and save this old but classic machine. Thank you. Sal