Standard Modern 1700 and 9" Utilathe neglected and rusting

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

rustyh

Re: Standard Modern 1700 and 9" Utilathe neglected and rusti

Post by rustyh »

Found out the Osborn is a tool cutter/grinder, explains those cone shaped stones in one of the cabinets. I'm going down island again at beginning of next week so I'll drop in and focus on the Osborn to see what else I can find.
pete

Post by pete »

If the information your looking for is anywhere, it should be at www.lathes.co.uk. That's about the best site I know of for identifying almost any machine tool. Expect to spend some time on that website.

Pete
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

Thanks Pete,
I got in touch with Tony and he's interested in pictures of the Pratt shaper, which I'll do in the coming week. And I did find and put away the manual for the SM 1700 series 4000 lathe, so I'll get him that as well. Still no luck on the Osborn cutter/grinder, other than a reference to one in an auction in the Winnipeg Free Press some time ago. Wouldn't that be a gas if it was the same one! Guess I should go back and check out the date.
pete

Post by pete »

Rusty,
Your welcome.
Don't get me wrong as I think the Chaski site is a great one. There are however some sites that are a little more specialized. You could try
http://www.practicalmachinist.com then just scroll down to the antique machinery and history sub form. There's some VERY clever people on that forum that have a vast amount of information, and I'd bet you'll get exactly what your looking for. Just be sure to start your thread with a clear and concise title of what your looking for. That's one of the few things I agree with the site owner about since it helps everyone later while doing a forum search.

If it were me and you can swing the deal? I'd buy everything in that shop if you can get it for a decent price. If you don't you'll be mentally kicking your own butt for the rest of your life. It could be the deal of a lifetime. I'd also do it ASAP.

Pete
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

Pete:
Thinkin', thinkin', thinkin'..... Thought I'd be getting up to Hedley to fly this week, but between this (or)deal and the weather turning (it's been raining most of the evening), I think I'm stuck down here.

I know what you mean about kicking myself, however, there is so much there that is beyond my scope and at the same time I feel like a moth to a candle. I suppose I'm now struggling with the responsibility and the time commitment, the travel, the need to pour a slab and expand my own shop. All of this together under the pressure of time, as if there is an unseen race against the vandals and developers.

The key for me is the SM 1700, just sitting there and probably destined for the scrap heap. Way too big for me, I have no use for anything remotely that size. But, I'd really like to clean it up and find it a good, productive home somewhere nearby. The rest of it is cleanup and organize (2 days I figure, 3 people, 1 giant haul). Then there are the buildings themselves, there is a lot of perfectly good wood and metal roofing to be had that I'm sure would just be bulldozed down, smashed up, then carted away.

Where does it end? Enough of this, I have to get some sleep.... :lol:
Attachments
Shop Mess 5a.jpg
Rex

Post by Rex »

rustyh wrote:Thanks Pete,
I got in touch with Tony ... And I did find and put away the manual for the SM 1700 series 4000 lathe, so I'll get him that as well.
Nothing against Tony, I send him stuff for his excellent site. Tony will scan that manual and then sell copies. What I wish you would do is scan that manual first and post it to one of the public forums. Maybe a Yahoo group or the "Manuals" subforum at PM. Does this forum have such a repository?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Rex wrote:Does this forum have such a repository?
It does not, although anything of substance can be posted within the Resource Library. Caution should be exercised, to ensure that nothing that carries a copyright is posted, however.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Harold_V wrote:
Rex wrote:Does this forum have such a repository?
It does not, although anything of substance can be posted within the Resource Library. Caution should be exercised, to ensure that nothing that carries a copyright is posted, however.
I would image the copyright would have expired on that SM. Certainly if Tony can copy it and resell, it should be good.
pete

Post by pete »

Rex,
Nothing against Tony either, but you do have an excellent point.

Rusty,
Obviously it's not my place to give you advice, but if it were me? I'd do whatever it took to buy the whole thing and rent storage for now. The equipment and it's actual condition is everything though. It's too bad I'm so far away or I'd come down and at least give you a rough idea of the condition and value. If you do decide to go ahead and buy all of it? If you'd like, you can PM me and I'll give you my home email. I'll do my best to identify anything if or when you've got pictures.

I admire your thoughts about saving this as it would be a real shame to see it all go for scrap.

Your original post and the situation has changed a bit, I'd be more than a bit shocked and disappointed if any of the regular members here did anything to screw up this deal for you, but this is also a public forum. And for anything like this, word gets around fast. I wouldn't waste any time deciding on what your going to do.

Pete
Rex

Post by Rex »

pete wrote: Rusty,
Obviously it's not my place to give you advice, but if it were me? I'd do whatever it took to buy the whole thing and rent storage for now. The equipment and it's actual condition is everything though. It's too bad I'm so far away or I'd come down and at least give you a rough idea of the condition and value. If you do decide to go ahead and buy all of it? If you'd like, you can PM me and I'll give you my home email. I'll do my best to identify anything if or when you've got pictures.

I admire your thoughts about saving this as it would be a real shame to see it all go for scrap.

Your original post and the situation has changed a bit, I'd be more than a bit shocked and disappointed if any of the regular members here did anything to screw up this deal for you, but this is also a public forum. And for anything like this, word gets around fast. I wouldn't waste any time deciding on what your going to do.
Absolutely agree. If I were anywhere close I'd pitch in.
spro

Post by spro »

I was early advising to take it all. I see this is a burden as it was for me in a similar situation. Now I believe you should focuss on the one machine you want and harness all friends/help to make this happen. Everything about that one machine, floor to ceiling. Done smooth and quick. You leave knowing it is yours and secure. It isn't "your resposibility" to save everything if you don't have a place to put it. Stuff happens. Don't throw all your pawns in thare and lose the game. Come out with a knight or queen.
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

I'm going to work on the manual and post it in the Resource forum if allowed, here's a tease....
Attachments
SM Manual Pg 1a.jpg