Standard Modern 1700 and 9" Utilathe neglected and rusting

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

rustyh

Re: Standard Modern 1700 and 9" Utilathe neglected and rusti

Post by rustyh »

So, no word from owner mid October and now I'm down in Victoria for a couple of weeks looking after the grandchildren while parents are off on holiday. It's giving me ample time to work on the manual. Surprisingly slow going, as I'm Photoshop-ing all the sludge and handwritten numbers out and replacing with Arial font. Each exploded view of parts is taking upwards of 8 hours to complete, but the look is much improved and clearer. Got about 8 views left to do. Then I'm building the parts list for each view in a spreadsheet as my OCR really doesn't like tables that have weird formatting going on.

Here's a sample of the work.
Attachments
Headstock parts Pg 18a.jpg
spro

Post by spro »

whatever i say is paltry. just stunned..nice job!
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

My eyeballs are falling out of my head... :shock:
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i am sure your eye,s are going crazy, you are not cut out to be a ocr machine . excellent work! :D
ken572

Post by ken572 »

rustyh,

Very nice indeed.. :wink:

Did I hear you say that you will be starting a
Manual Restoration Company :?: :lol:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
thundercat900

Post by thundercat900 »

I finally figured out how to split a file. Here's the Standard Modern 17 manual that I found on the net a few years ago. Hope it is what you want.
Attachments
standardmodernarmy17.1-15.pdf
(189.34 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
standardmodernarmy17.16-36.pdf
(388.38 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

Wow, Thundercat, those are interesting. Quite similar. The one I have is from May 1968. 2nd Edition, starting serial number 4865

I found the manual I have and volunteered to fix it up and get it on the web. As I said, I had no idea what I was letting myself into, but it sure passes the time away. I'm learning a lot. Lets hope it keeps raining here and I'll battle on. I just revised the thread to update those that were interested in posting this, as to when I might be done, and to let them know I'm still at it.

I should have followed my normal rules of estimation....(estimate then...multiply by 3) even that will fall short..... :( :lol:
thundercat900

Post by thundercat900 »

Hope you get those machines Rusty, and if you do, and need advice on how to hook them up to power PM me, I could take pictures and notes on how mine is done. It had a 575v brake motor on it. Since I only have 220v single phase power, I had to change out the brake motor for a 220 three phase brake motor, and use a VFD. To control the VFD through the handles, a new barrel switch that reversed polarity had to be installed, as well as a couple of relays. I was lucky that I have a buddy who is an electrical genius. I would never have figured it out on my own. Good luck with it!
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

Oh, that would be ideal. I'm pretty sure the shop had 3 phase power. The motor compartment has heavy machinery piled up against it but I'll put it on my list to clear it and try and find out what's the setup. Unfortunately the nut case that came in and cut all the copper wiring took the panel feed wiring as well. But with the machinery stacked up maybe he didn't get to strip the wiring from inside the case. All of the other machines are hacked off at their power switches, but the fork lift has had the battery cables hacked out and a big chunk of the wiring harness, so who knows....

My question to you is, how delicate can you work with this lathe? It looks just too big for my meager talents and small shop. When I first found the abandoned shop I was considering about a $2000 - $3000 engine lathe for my needs.

I have a Oneway 2036 (#33) with all the outboard extras including a bed extension for turning 8' (some barley twist) posts, and wanted to get a metal lathe to produce custom tooling (M33 x 3.5). I have had several orders for 8' x 10" dia. barley twist posts (up to 6 filaments) over the last few years (fir and yellow cedar). I have been carving them out by hand. I want to build a rouging out, automatic feed, carving system for the 8' x 12" dia. as it's a boring, labor intensive job that has burned out a number of my carvers. Anyway, I want the ability to play around with it all, at my convenience, and, as inspiration hits.
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

This is an update and possible end to this thread.....I hope.

Last winter in mid December, light snow on the ground, I was driving past the abandoned shop and noticed the gates were wide open and there were several tracks in the snow. I tried to get hold of the owner, but no success, at least he wasn't replying to my e-mails or phone calls (keep in mind he is a commercial fisherman and is away for protracted periods of time).

This week my buddy who was helping if I managed to get involved went by the shop and went in. Everything was gone, the place cleaned out completely. As the owner has not felt obliged to let me know what was going on, and I realize there was no obligation on his part to do that, I'm feeling very relieved it's over. A small problem is I have bits and pieces that I was repairing or stashing to keep from getting damaged (tail stock for the SM Utilathe, index plates for a huge RT). I e-mailed and photographed the parts, and talked with him on the phone for permission. Since there has been no reply, I suspect everything went to a scrap metal dealer, possibly the one that had the original contract to clear out all the antique bulldozers (if I remember correctly around 130 of the things). If that is indeed the case it is way too sad.

I had mixed feelings when I heard the place was cleaned out, and readily admit I'm working on suppositions. Surprisingly it's the overall relief I feel of not having to have to deal with it all, and a kind of sad inevitability.

The story is not over, however, as I will try and connect with the owner to find out what has happened and what should I do with the pieces I have out in the shop. I don't know if it's possible to track down the machines, as that will depend who got them all, but maybe it's still possible to purchase odds and ends.

And that's the update...... :roll:
JackF

Post by JackF »

Rusty,

Maybe sad or maybe good but in any case keep us informed.

Jack.
dirtyfilthybart

Post by dirtyfilthybart »

Hi Rusty,
I know this post is a year old but I was wondering if you still have the tailstock for the 9" Unilathe?