Standard Modern 1700 and 9" Utilathe neglected and rusting

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

thundercat900

Re: Standard Modern 1700 and 9" Utilathe neglected and rusti

Post by thundercat900 »

I just tried to upload a Standard Modern manual, but the message says it's too big to upload. Is there anyway around this?
ken572

Post by ken572 »

thundercat900 wrote:I just tried to upload a Standard Modern manual, but the message says it's too big to upload. Is there anyway around this?
Yes, It's
called (Fast File Splitter and Joiner)(F.F.S.J. v.3.3) and it's Freeware. :wink:

The Fastest File Splitter and Joiner for all Windows platforms.
Go here and download:
http://www.jaist.ac.jp/~hoangle/filesj/

Sender, needs to split it and attach to PM's or Emails.
Receiver, needs to join it back together. (Very Fast and Simple to use.)
I use it weekly. It's Great.. :mrgreen:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
rennie

Post by rennie »

I wish I could find a shop like that. I would buy it and sell off what I do not need and pay for what I wanted :idea:
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

The owner/inheritor/executor is a commercial fisherman and is now away for who knows how long, I'm waiting......waiting.....waiting...

But guess what continues to happen......
Attachments
Utilathe Paint Damage 1a.jpg
Paint Damage 1a.jpg
spro

Post by spro »

So fortunate the power was turned off. One can only imagine.
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

The fear I have is whoever is doing this, I assume a number of individuals, will get bored and torch the place, especially if I board up the door.
spro

Post by spro »

Good to hear from you again Rusty. About 2 weeks ago I typed out a reply to this subject, then deleted it. I don't mind sharing it now. It was about portable welders that you could take there and weld up some of the the door to the T/C grinder. There were so many good things within that cabinet. Then I got to thinking like a vandal... If I saw somebody welded it up then there must be something really good in there. That would be the target. The machine may have been overturned while they beat and damaged things to get it open. That's the mindset. Locking the door is similar.
I've been thinking about this and I hope others here are also. I don't see introducing a poison or trap would help ultimately.There can be clues by shoe size. It may be a little oil or smooth earth to where they walk into the den of papers. It so far seems like 10-14 year olds. No damage to their den yet, as they see it. If you saw beer bottles and cig butts all over that's a different deal.
Gorio

Post by Gorio »

Hey I am I Courtenay if there is anything I can do to help.

I found this thread while searching for tooling for a Utillathe 9". I found one for sale and it looked very much like the one I used and loved in high school. Unfortunately there is no tooling with it not even a chuck so it maybe very expensive to outfit it for even basic use.

Anyway I am not that far away if you need a hand to try and move some equipment.
stevec

Post by stevec »

Gorio, welcome! you have given some idea of your location , but it will not apear in your future posts. Please amend your profile !
Just my bugaboo!
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

Gorio good to know there is someone within hailing distance, thanks.

I'm still waiting to hear from fisherman/owner, who knows how long he will be away as this superb fall weather continues to amaze.

As to the Utilathe, contacting Leblond was sobering as far as buying replacement parts. $700 for the tailstock sliding sleeve left me breathless (good luck). There might be a chuck there that's usable, seems to me I put one from the floor under the bed, might even be a Pratt. I say might fit because there are some lathe parts that don't quite fit the Utilathe. There might have been another lathe that was sold off years ago and some parts remain.

The sliding tailstock spindle was half the cost of a new Craftex CX700 ($1800 now, was $1500) from Busy Bee (now I'm looking at the CX701- $2800). The CX700 was what I was originally looking to buy. However, there was time issues on delivery (they kept pushing it back from April thru to mid June) and I needed to get on with producing camera mounts, so spent the money on a mill and Taig lathe. Both have been excellent for my needs, but I still need a larger lathe to make 33mm accessories for my Oneway.

Fortunately for me a friend and I got into this at the time I purchased. He waited and bought the CX700 when they finally became available. I go over and use the lathe when I need it, he comes over and uses the mill when he needs it. It takes a bit of planning and getting access to each others shops as we are both quite busy, me a woodturner/nightwatchman and him an appliance/small engine repairman.

His shop, immaculate and well planned. Mine a shambles of various projects amidst mountains of bowls and waist high loads of shavings that have to be cleared every day. I've strung up shower curtains to deflect shavings from cascading all over the metal working machines/bench. And I have extractors and air cleaners going when sanding and do the oil/wipe/re-oil, so far no rust.

Just picked up a brand new squirrel cage 220v fan from the metal buyers in Cumberland for $20, there was still one left when I was there last Thursday, in a sheet metal box like a furnace housing, might be a bit more expensive, if your interested.

It was my friend that told me of the abandoned shop, and my life has been hell ever since, full of concern, worry, and fruitless planning (concrete slabs, extending shop, power supplies, storage....and on and on, wishing I could have it all done before the fall/winter rains begin). The War Office just doesn't understand any of it, but is being very patient, just shakes her head and taps her brain. Her concern is, "If you pop your clogs, who's going to get rid of it all." Of course by then I won't care....

Stevec, I have thought about this a lot and I believe the fabulous weather allows the youth (can't be many in the area) to gad about. When we turn back into the Wet Coast it will probably cease. I have found a number of tools in nice old wooden boxes that I have hidden at the back of and under benches. When I return they are opened and dumped every time, though not damaged. I have packed them up and brought them home, and sent off an e-mail to the owner explaining my actions. The rotary table will probably be next, so far vandalization free, but I worry it's only a matter of time as the indexing plates would make exciting frisbee's.

There was a nice old balance beam scale, the rolling floor model with about a 24" x 36" platen, that they smashed up the last time I was there, so escalation may or may not be in the works. I did see a rubby stagger pass, looked like he was living rough, but he showed no interest in the place, might have been a coincidence. There are no cigarette butts that I have noticed, but apple cores from the orchard are scattered about the fork lift. As long as this nice weather continues people are free to hang around, but when the weather changes to our normal cold and wet, they'll move back into, or closer to, the towns.

A bunch of us are off next week to a place called Pavilion, north of Lillooet, to help a friend get in his alfalfa crop, so I won't be doing anything until I return. Hopefully my back will still be intact! I'll update again then, unless I hear something in the meantime.
Gorio

Post by Gorio »

Well as I see it you will have to just wait for the owner and try not to worry to much about it.
When he is back try and salvage what you can and have room for. It would be hard to leave good tools sitting there but you can only do so much and some of that will depend on the current owner. (who doesn't seem to concerned about it).
If you need to make a mass assault to get stuff out let me know.
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

I just heard from the owner and he'll be back mid-October and wants to meet, so that's very encouraging. Back on shift tonight for a week, means getting more work done on the SM 1700 manual, it's getting close.