The Home Machinist!

A site dedicated to enthusiasts of all skill levels and disciplines of the metalworking hobby.
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:36 pm
Posts: 59
Any ideas where I may find a follow rest for this lathe?
Thanks,
Dan
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:43 pm
Posts: 2583
Location: pendleton or
1 could send you a tracing of one for a 13x40?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:04 pm
Posts: 4126
Location: mid atlantic
Do a search for an Enco 1260 . I think the saddles were all the same then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:29 am
Posts: 540
Location: DFW Texas
I have a 1024 of similar vintage. I have never seen a follow rest available in the wild, and I do watch for such things.
I think the best course of action is to find a follow rest for a similar size lathe and adapt it to fit your saddle.

An alternative:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Tooli ... lower.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:31 am
Posts: 161
Location: Sacramento, Ca.
Dan B,
I would agree with Rex. I personally have a Graziano lathe that came without steady or follow rests and originals seem to be impossible to find. I just kept watching eBay and finally came across a nice follow rest (I think from a Colchester) with dimensions I could work with for a very reasonable price. I machined and adapter and modified the base of the follow rest to fit my lathe. Worked out very well. Still searching for a steady rest to do the same with. If I don't find one soon, I'll probably start making one from scratch. Sounds like another fun project :D
Ted

_________________
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:18 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Concord, CA.
I had a 1981 Jet 1236 for years. I got it with the steady rest but no follower. I upgraded to a 1983 GoodWay 1440 gearhead a few years ago which also came with the steady rest but no follower rest. I didn't even know how one mounted to my lathe. I corresponded with a guy in Australia with a GoodWay. His carriage was arrainged differently but he had the follower rest and sent me a picture of it. I watched ebay pretty often. One week, 2 that looked like the picture showed up for sale. The seller didn't know what lathe either one fit. Evidently, no one else did either. I placed a bid of $10 and ended up getting it for the $10 plus shipping. When it arrived, it still had the cosmoline on it. I had to elongate one of the mounting holes a bit but outside of that, it fit perfect.

I never thought I would find one for it and especially one that cheap. It took 3 years to find it but my persistance paid off. Don't give up. Just be paitent and persistant.

Charlie W.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:29 am
Posts: 540
Location: DFW Texas
Charlie W. wrote:
I had a 1981 Jet 1236 for years. I got it with the steady rest but no follower. I upgraded to a 1983 GoodWay 1440 gearhead a few years ago which also came with the steady rest but no follower rest. I didn't even know how one mounted to my lathe. I corresponded with a guy in Australia with a GoodWay. His carriage was arrainged differently but he had the follower rest and sent me a picture of it. I watched ebay pretty often. One week, 2 that looked like the picture showed up for sale. The seller didn't know what lathe either one fit. Evidently, no one else did either. I placed a bid of $10 and ended up getting it for the $10 plus shipping. When it arrived, it still had the cosmoline on it. I had to elongate one of the mounting holes a bit but outside of that, it fit perfect.

I never thought I would find one for it and especially one that cheap. It took 3 years to find it but my persistance paid off. Don't give up. Just be paitent and persistant.

Charlie W.


Sounds to me like you need to post that picture!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:18 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Concord, CA.
Rex wrote:
Sounds to me like you need to post that picture!


Here is a picture of Ben's Goodway and one of his follower rest mounted on the carriage.

As I mentioned, Ben is in Australia. Notice the reversed controlls on the carriage.

Image

Image

My Goodway has controlls that most of us are familiar with.

Image

Charlie


Last edited by Charlie W. on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:29 am
Posts: 540
Location: DFW Texas
Charlie W. wrote:
As I mentioned, Ben is in Australia. Notice the reversed controlls on the carriage.


Right, like the water circles the drain anti-clockwise there? :mrgreen:

Thanks for the pics. Now we all know what to look for.
I think the next guy that posts an "Unknown Lathe Follow Rest" on ebay is going to wonder what happened :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:23 am
Posts: 5555
Location: Florida
Rex wrote:
Charlie W. wrote:
As I mentioned, Ben is in Australia. Notice the reversed controlls on the carriage.


Right, like the water circles the drain anti-clockwise there? :mrgreen:

They are reversed over there, and some European lathes are as well. The carriage handwheel is on the right side of the carriage to help protect the back of your hand from a shower of hot chips.
Kinda makes sense!

_________________
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:40 pm
Posts: 1849
Location: N.S. Canada
Sorta like the "shield" thingy on my Lux-Matter 16 x 60.
Attachment:
File comment: Upper left corner of the apron
003 (2).JPG
003 (2).JPG [ 75.06 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]

BTW, as far as protecting the operator from hot chips, it doesn't work. Ouch ouch!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: f350ca and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maƫl Soucaze.