DIY 5-C Collet Chuck

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

rennie

DIY 5-C Collet Chuck

Post by rennie »

Does any one know where I can get the plans for 5-C Collet CHuck? I understand that it may have come from this site???? :?:
wlw-19958

Re: DIY 5-C Collet CHuck

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

I'm not sure if this is what you want but Metal Lathe Accessories
has a 'kit' to make your own 5C collet chuck (MLA-21).

5C Collet Chuck Kit

They have a lot of other neat things too.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
Chuck K

Re: DIY 5-C Collet Chuck

Post by Chuck K »

Cool stuff!!!
Hopefuldave

Re: DIY 5-C Collet Chuck

Post by Hopefuldave »

If your lathe's spindle bore is large enough (1-1/4" or more) you could make your own pretty simply, a draw-tube through the spindle (with a handle and thrust-bearing at the outboard end), threaded to fit the 5C collet thread, and a 5C holder to go in your spindle taper - this would let you bore the collet holder in the lathe it'll be working in, guaranteeing it'll be concentric - my lathe came with pretty much this setup (in addition to chucks etc.), unfortunately they're native Holbrook collets, which is fine for the range I have (1/16" - 3/4" by 16ths round stock) which fit the lathe, but means I can't easily get any metric sizes, for instance, Holbrook having been absorbed by the 600 group and disappeared decades ago...

A taper holder / bush and draw-tube can be made pretty much from scrap around the workshop, though, so I may see if I can make up a 5C set to allow for square and hex materials - could come in handy :)

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of Wise Men - Douglas Bader