Help with a morgon model cbl-940 lathe please

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

lowbudget

Help with a morgon model cbl-940 lathe please

Post by lowbudget »

Hello and thanks for letting me join this forum.
I'm new to all this stuff so bare with me I just bought a morgon model cbl-940 lathe it is a 1983 year and was imported for Frejoth Int.
What I need is a Manuel for it or if any body knows where I can find one that would be great.or parts for it.
I need to change the belt on it and Im not sure what needs to be done first.
Thanks
stevec

Re: Help with a morgon model cbl-940 lathe please

Post by stevec »

Welcome to the forum! I found some references to the "Morgon cbl-940 lathe and Frejoth (Taiwan?) on Google. I suggest you give that a try.
You've not mentioned your whereabouts, please include some indication in your profile, It often helps
responders in offering comments or advice.
toolman49

Post by toolman49 »

G'Day,
Some of the Frejoth lathes were identical to the Honden, if you scroll down this page, Big Trev has a thread running on what is required to replace the belt on his, it is not a job for the feint hearted, a link belt is a much easier (although more expensive ) alternative. A photo and location would make it much easier to offer advice.
Regards,
Martin
iBkickinit

Post by iBkickinit »

Just picked one up Friday. Nice machine so far. The cross slide had about an 1/8" of backlash. Found a thread detailing making new lead screw nuts from acetal. Very effective. Came out a little snug, but backlash is now a solid 0.001", almost entirely from the thrust bearings. The original owner just found the manual and is mailing it to me. I'lll get a pdf scanned for you.
jimjefferies

Post by jimjefferies »

Hi, I just purchased a 1986 morgon cbl 940 and would like a operators manual and I would like to know which lubricant and where to put it. Exactly!
pete

Post by pete »

Proper way oil on the way's and slides does imo make enough of a difference to be worth the effort of getting it. Vactra no. 2 is one brand. A light weight machine oil or even hydraulic oil can be used in any areas with bushings. The head stock I'd want to go with the factory recommendations. Detergent automotive engine oils are not a good idea for oil bath head stocks that aren't filtered. Whatever you use for the head stock should be fine to use in the carriage.