Please help me identify this lathe.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

antichip

Please help me identify this lathe.

Post by antichip »

hello,

Name is josh. I am hoping someone here can help me come up with manufacturer, distributor or model for this lathe. I have to source the gear for the power feed / threading. it is a pretty tight lathe and really the only bit missing is this gear. I ordered one from grizzly but the pitch was not right. As you see the gear is held on by nuts, not a screw like on the grizzly model that looks similar.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
hammermill

Re: Please help me identify this lathe.

Post by hammermill »

http://content.jettools.com/assets/manu ... man_EN.pdf

this may give you a relative idea. i suspect it is a jet
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

a little bit more direction is a jet ghb-1340 stock number 321357 gears should be 30,127,120 and 40 t00th and a 23 for metric
spro

Post by spro »

Wow! I need to ask more questions here. :)
antichip

Post by antichip »

That looks to be the model in a few of the pics I see. And all the bits look to be an exact match from the manual. Now it does appear that they have updated it somewhat from the pics. The shell and the gear change looks to be by knob and not lever.
Anyone have the old manual with the slide lever gear change?

Thanks again for all the help.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

http://www.industrialmanuals.com/ghb134 ... p-2046.php

these guys will sell you a hard copy, 1997 vintage machine there may be some pdf,s floating sround also

you may also try phoning jet, they may have a file to email you.
antichip

Post by antichip »

Ok so I'm at the machine. It seems that the gear on the gearbox portion of the gear assembley is 40t. I don't eve see a 40 t on the PDF of the newer model. The large center gear in the combo is 120t and 127t. The gibs look to be the same. So I am not sure where that leaves me.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

pm me a email adress and i will foreward machine pics that may help, cant forward thru the secure system i am at right now
spro

Post by spro »

I could screw this up but my back is killing me and maybe be forgiven. The 127 is for Metric The 120 for English The 40 is a ratio between. I could go down the stairs to confirm but not sure about getting back. With the 120 you cut threads as per the main selections of your QC transmission and the dial to the right of your apron is correct in divisions to an eighth when the threads are even numbers. With the 127 gear and metric the dial is wrong or only right a certain times. It is better to leave the screw engaged, power down. Retract the slide after knowing its exact setting and reverse the lathe so it feeds backward to beginning of work. Then go back to the same exact setting and add .002 (which is really .004) or whatever your setup allows. These are baby steps and better than falling down the stairs because you can walk. Funny thing, some old guy telling you about baby steps. Hey,don't hit a freakin Oak.