Identifying a south Bend lathe..

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

1911ly

Identifying a south Bend lathe..

Post by 1911ly » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Hello everyone. I am new here. I hope to be around for a long time.

I found an older South bend Lathe. I am in South Bend so that part is really cool. The SN# 20343. I did a little research and think it might be from 1928? I am trying to figure out the age and a rough value. It comes with a chuck that doesn't fit the back plate. It also has a steady rest and several extra treading gears. The ways would appear to have a few dings. I have not seen the lathe yet so I haven't measured the spindle run out or gave a good look over. Are there any weak points in these I should look for?

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... b1b364.jpg

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 1dc304.jpg

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 209178.jpg

Hopefully I posted links correctly. Forgive me if not. My main use for this lathe would be for threading. Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks Larry

JackF

Re: Identifying a south Bend lathe..

Post by JackF » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:39 pm

Welcome Larry. :) I don't own a South Bend and have never looked at one so I am no expert but look and see if there are threads on the inside of the chuck mount. If there are I suspect you can unscrew the back plate and screw on the chuck. I could be wrong :roll: , but it is my understanding that the older South Bends were screw mounts. If I am wrong there are others here who can set you straight. :roll: :shock: :wink:

Jack.

P.S. It helps if you put your state and or city of residence so others here can see if you are nearby and can possibly give you some personal help. :D

1911ly

Post by 1911ly » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Thanks for the tips Jack. I thought i had already done that :oops: I added it. I will have the guy take some better pics. I did get a call back from South Bend Lathe on the date inquiry. They say 1919. Wow! It doesn't look bad in the pics but looks can be deceiving. This may not be the Lathe for me but I'd like to learn a little more about it. He wants $600 for it. I would think it would be worth that in parts but I don't have the heart to put down an old work horse that still can run.

Larry

spro

Post by spro » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:06 am

One of the neatest links given here is www.wswells.com There is much information by the actual manuals and parts lists. By those, you can identify the series There were O, N, T and R and a "Junior". There is much good about that lathe by appearances of the general condition but pics are not measurements. It does have the thread dial which could set you back around a hundred if it was missing. Then again, every thread pitch has to have gears set by the chart/s. Power feeds, the same. It IS alluring by its history but there is a different realm of appreciation and knowledge about working with these. UK lathes can tell you more. What is more practical for you?

stevec

Post by stevec » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:32 am

1911ly wrote: My main use for this lathe would be for threading.
I can't supply any info about South Bend lathes but I would venture that a lathe without a quick change gearbox would be a poor choice for threading.

JackF

Post by JackF » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:32 am

Larry, sorry I missed your location in the text of your post :oops: but am glad you added it to your profile. :)

Jack.

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:59 am

Probably a model 34 (13") or 29 (11"), like this one:

You can read more here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/page2.html

$600 isn't a steal, but at that price, you're probably looking at smaller and lighter lathes, like a 9" South Bend model C or an Atlas. That lathe, if it is in good shape, is going to be far more capable than any Atlas.

You should compare the threading chart to the gears to make sure you have a complete set. If you end up spending hundreds on gears, that's going to put you into territory where you could have bought a quick-change machine.

Steve

1911ly

Post by 1911ly » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:09 pm

Spro, that is a excellent sight! Book marked! Thanks for sharing.

Last night I asked the guy to get the numbers off the gears to I could compare to the threading chart. I wil drive over and check it out. I can probably find a nicer lathe but i am drawn to this thing for some reason. When that happens I usually end up with it.

Thanks for the input everyone!

spro

Post by spro » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Did a search and SteveM recommended the wswells site back in Nov 2007. So like I said, just passing on the info.

spro

Post by spro » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Well heck folks, I didn't mean to shut the place down. When I needed the info it was in 5/13 and given here by another gent who probably found the site on his own. I could name Him too. It mattered because while I was being thanked, Steve was including more information. He didn't mention it. I Had to.

1911ly

Post by 1911ly » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:53 am

I mentioned a "Thanks everyone". I belong to many forums ranging from electronics to guns. I am really thankful for the help I get and am more then glad to offer what I know. Unfortunately I am new to SB lathe's. I did get a of the gears he has with it. I haven't had the chance to check numbers to see the threading capabilities.

I'd really like a 9 inch with a quick change gear box but this is the only thing I have ran across that was reasonable. I have been offered a few for 3-4 grand that look like they have seen better days. I am in no real hurry. I might make a road trip to check it out. Being old doesn't bother me as long as it's still useful. Kind of like me :-)

ken572

Post by ken572 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:41 am

1911ly wrote:Hello everyone. I am new here. I hope to be around for a long time.

I found an older South bend Lathe. I am in South Bend so that part is really cool. The SN# 20343. I did a little research and think it might be from 1928? I am trying to figure out the age and a rough value. It comes with a chuck that doesn't fit the back plate. It also has a steady rest and several extra treading gears. The ways would appear to have a few dings. I have not seen the lathe yet so I haven't measured the spindle run out or gave a good look over. Are there any weak points in these I should look for?

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... b1b364.jpg

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 1dc304.jpg

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 209178.jpg

Hopefully I posted links correctly. Forgive me if not. My main use for this lathe would be for threading. Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks Larry
Larry, :D

Welcome to The Home Machinist!

This could be helpful:
http://www.wswells.com/serial_number.html

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.