Lathe chuck removal

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

rudd

Re: Lathe chuck removal

Post by rudd »

We are talking about getting stuck chucks off lathes without damaging the gearing, no? :twisted:

What I linked to is exactly the type of tool I used. Ron, good idea, but - I had chucked a piece of 1" hex in the chuck, made an expanding sleeve to grip the spindle from the inside at the back end, ran the dickens out of a CP 1/2" impact gun at about 110 PSI and no joy. So, rather than attempting further to mess up the chuck, or damage some other hard to replace component,

******************I CUT THE BLASTED BACKPLATE OFF WITH A PARTING TOOL!************************

A pristine, original, 1941 Southbend Backplate!

A left hand tool, exactly like the one I linked to. It's harder to find photos of a left hand tool. Anybody can find photos of a right hand one. Came in just forward of the flange on the spindle, used available info for the spindle diameter to avoid nicking it, before I even got close at all, there was a very satisfying "POP" - and the remains of the backplate twisted off without any great drama. Had a new backplate turned up and fitted within the hour.

Now, tell me again how that photo has nothing to do with getting stuck chucks off. :D
stevec

Post by stevec »

rudd wrote:What I linked to is exactly the type of tool I used.
A left hand tool, exactly like the one I linked to. It's harder to find photos of a left hand tool. Anybody can find photos of a right hand one. :D
Rudd, I don't mean to gang up on you but, I've only ever seen parting off tool holders like the one you linked to.
I've never seen one with the cutting blade on the right hand side (viewed from above with the blade pointing toward the rear of the lathe).

I disagree that the impact wrench for chuck removal was "good idea", good ideas work! :lol:
rudd

Post by rudd »

Perhaps my humor was a little too subtle for you.

Using an impact is yet another method used to get stuck chucks off. The impact puts no stress on any drive components, and often, an impact will get things to move where a steady force will not. If the thing has been on there since forever, and has had a few encounters with the compound over the years, it doesn't work just as good as any of the methods described above. One tries to use the gentlest means possible, then progress as those methods fail. At some point, you can decide to cut your losses and move on.

I tried many of the methods above. None worked. I spent days fooling around trying to get a $60 backplate off, more days waiting for a weight and lever to ease the plate off, when the better use of my time was to cut the thing off and make another, which, by using your definition, was a good idea.

Gang up all you want, I got it off without damage to gearing or other hard to replace components, and was back on the road with about 2 hours of work once I had made that decision.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
rudd wrote:I tried many of the methods above. None worked. I spent days fooling around trying to get a $60 backplate off, more days waiting for a weight and lever to ease the plate off, when the better use of my time was to cut the thing off and make another, which, by using your definition, was a good idea.

Gang up all you want, I got it off without damage to gearing or other hard to replace components, and was back on the road with about 2 hours of work once I had made that decision.
I won't gang up on you. I had a friend that couldn't get his chuck off
and gave me a call and I went over to help. To make a long story short,
I ended up using a left-hand cut-off tool and parting the backing plate
off, just ahead of the shoulder on the spindle. Just before the blade cut
through, the chuck freed up (binding the blade and stopping the spindle).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I should have elaborated a bit more. My question was about removing chucks that are just on tight, not frozen on the spindle. If the latter, then any means to remove the chuck is acceptable.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
rudd

Post by rudd »

Webb,
You've probably heard that saying - if you stick around long enough, someone else will tell your story. You did a fine job of telling mine.

Ron, where does "tight" end and "frozen" begin? I'd guess I could have gotten that thing off *if* there was a way to apply enough torque without breaking something. In my judgement, there wasn't.
stevec

Post by stevec »

I'm still in the woods regarding the left hand/right hand parting off tool holder. :?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

stevec wrote:I'm still in the woods regarding the left hand/right hand parting off tool holder. :?
Yeah, that's a little confusing, as the handing of a tool relates to how it cuts, not how the tool is oriented. It stands to reason that a parting tool will be RIGHT handed (not left handed), as one generally makes a parting cut as close as is possible to the jaws of a chuck, for purpose of rigidity, so it can be safely assumed that the blade would favor the right hand side (remember that when handing a lathe cutting tool, the cutting edge is viewed head on, shank held away from one's eyes, tool held with the cutting edge on top), so that places the blade on the right hand side. It is not truly a right hand tool, as it doesn't cut on the side. A parting tool isn't handed in that respect.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
rudd

Post by rudd »

Harold, and all, I was referring to the old Armstrong style holders.
Here's a photo of three.
http://www.garvintools.com/index.cfm?md ... oductID=48

Every reference I can find, for both this style of parting tool holder, and the regular Armstrong bit holders, seems to indicate the one that would get up close to the chuck is a left hand - not referring to the actual parting blade or ground cutter, but to the angle in the shank of the holder.
Perhaps I am mistaken. At any rate, there's a picture of all three of the critters. That incident is the one reason I keep an old lantern tool post set-up and holders - they will sometimes reach out and do a job where my quick-change post cannot reach.

Rudd
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

rudd wrote:Harold, and all, I was referring to the old Armstrong style holders.
Here's a photo of three.
http://www.garvintools.com/index.cfm?md ... oductID=48

Every reference I can find, for both this style of parting tool holder, and the regular Armstrong bit holders, seems to indicate the one that would get up close to the chuck is a left hand - not referring to the actual parting blade or ground cutter, but to the angle in the shank of the holder.
Perhaps I am mistaken.
Quoting from Colvin, The Machinist Dictionary:
"Long usage has named as a right hand tool one that cuts to the left, viewed from the front of the machine".

When handing a cutting tool, which would include tool holders, how the tool is applied dictates the hand. As much as it makes little sense, one views the tool with the shank away from one's eyes, with the cutting edge up. The direction the holder or tool points in use is what determines the hand of the device. A holder that cuts near the jaws is a right hand holder.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

This would be a left hand tool?
Attachments
tool-1.png
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

This is a right hand turning tool, as it cuts to the left. (tool shank is to the RIGHT of the cutting edge)

Right hand boring bar.

Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!