Quick Change Tool Post for 12" Atlas

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Gregg877

Quick Change Tool Post for 12" Atlas

Post by Gregg877 »

Hey folks,

I'd really like to put a quick change tool post on my 12x26 Craftsman (Atlas) lathe. However as with anything there are numerous choices and after trying to sift through pages on the subject I figured I'd just ask.

I've seen several including the phase II, Aloris, and clones. Most come with a blank to make a t-nut for your specific compound rest.

So the question is: which brand?, piston or wedge? AXA or BXA? I've seen both as being suitable for machines with a 12" swing.

I'm away with the national guard right now, so giving a serial number, color, and all kinds of other crazy data as mentioned isnt something I can do right now :roll:

Thanks, Gregg
John Evans

Re: Quick Change Tool Post for 12" Atlas

Post by John Evans »

A wedge style AXA import will do you just fine, just plan on replacing the tool clamping screws as the ones furnished are usualy rather soft. Shars or CDCD or Tools4Cheap can fix you up.
www.chaski.com
Gregg877

Post by Gregg877 »

Thank you very much; those are actually the 3 I was looking at.

Gregg
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I had one of the non-branded wedge tool posts. It wasn't anywhere near as good as my Phase II piston post, so I put the piston post back on until I got a deal on a Phase II wedge.

I would stick with Phase II for the posts, but get toolholders from Shars or CDCO - when you can get them cheap enough, you can own enough to actually make it quick change.

I have it on a 12x36 Atlas - the AXA is the correct size even though the sizing for the toolposts says that the BXA is appropriate.

Steve
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I agree 100% with Steve. Some of the cheapest non-brand (CDCO, Shars, etc) are quite a step below the Phase II (and less known similar) models. I had a Phase II CXA and two AXA posts that were all quite nice. I eventually got a steal on an Aloris brand post (with some blocks no less), so I use that now, and the Phase II is awaiting repurpose, perhaps on my tracer if I ever get time to finish it.

The only complaint (other than cheap hardware) I have about the cheap blocks from CDCO (I have many) is that they are not particularly close tolerance, and the lever will reach lock position over a fairly wide range. But that's usually not a problem unless I'm working close to obstructions (like tailstock).
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
ronm

Post by ronm »

I have an AXA on my Atlas, a Yuasa, a brand which seems to have disappeared right after I got mine...maybe that's why MSC had it on sale at such a smokin' price? :?
Anyhow, it is the right size, anything bigger wouldn't really fit...
Jaxian

Post by Jaxian »

Just some information. The Aloris is the original of this style of QCTP, all the other ones are clones of that. It is priced accordingly even though like all things they are rumored to no longer be made as well as they used to be. Then again they aren't that more expensive than Dorian or even the Phase II. Dorian makes one in this style that is considered as good (of course open to debate) as the Aloris. It also costs like it is that quality level.

Phase II stuff is what you would call high quality Asian import stuff. Nothing wrong with it and it will serve you well at a reduced price. Just don't expect all the little quality touches you find on a Aloris or Dorian. Like the special washer under the toolpost nut that has a little flange thingy that keeps the post from moving as you loosen and tighten it. No biggee but there is a reason they are more expensive.

That said if you aren't trying to hold super tight tolerances and can't justify the large dollars then the Phase II, or even a Shars will work fine.

For myself I splurged for the Aloris toolpost basic kit, then I buy what are I think Shars toolholders. So now I have way more toolholders than I could ever afford if I was trying to buy all Aloris or Dorian stuff ($25ea for a basic holder as opposed to about $70 for an Aloris from Enco). Also it allowed me to not feel at all bad about carving them up. I underbought size wise and got a BXA when I should have gotten a CXA for my 16" sized lathe. This has caused me no issues for the work I am doing but it does limit my selection of cutting tools.

Remember if you like using insert type tools instead of grinding your own the bigger you go the more selection you have. There are twice as many 1/2" as smaller sizes, and if you move up to 5/8" it about doubles again and if you can get to a size toolpost to use 3/4" toolholders you will find a bewilderingly large number of possible tool configurations. Most you would never use but there will come that time when you might want that 35 degree diamond shaped insert clocked over at a strange angle. That particular one actually ended up working really well for me.

A BXA sized toolholder will be either 1/2" or 5/8" and can easily be opened up to take 3/4" tools. Also the bigger tool will be more rigid although that shouldn't be an issue on the lathe in question.

Here is I think a Shars, it was about $25, Chinese toolholder that was 5/8" that I opened up to 3/4" to use a insert threading tool. I got sick of never having my threads be dead accurate as my hand grinding skill leaves a lot to be desired. In this size it will go from either 6 or 8tpi up to pretty much anything. I like having lots of choices like that.
Attachments
5/8" Chinese BXA toolholder opened up to 3/4" to take larger tools. With a insert threading tool in it.
5/8" Chinese BXA toolholder opened up to 3/4" to take larger tools. With a insert threading tool in it.
In this shot you can see the removable insert. You get 3 edges before having to get a new insert. They seem to hold up very well.
In this shot you can see the removable insert. You get 3 edges before having to get a new insert. They seem to hold up very well.