New 14x40 lathes available in 2014?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RONALD

Re: New 14x40 lathes available in 2014?

Post by RONALD »

Here is a company that reps only high quality lathes. If you look at those lathes they rep you can get an idea of what is quality in 2014.

I bought my Harrison VS330TR from them in 94, but a few years later they gave up Harrison, because it went Chinese, and the quality went down.

http://www.robertemorris.com/home/builders.html
plumberzpieco

Post by plumberzpieco »

I had had a Polish 14x40 lathe that was rather robust, wish I still had it. It was a Famot TUM35 made by Polamco which is now Toolmex. The gear box was separate from the head stock and in the base much like a Sheldon R model. I still look for another one like it, doubt I'll find one as nice though.
wsippola

Post by wsippola »

The 7 or 8 K is a pretty healthy budget for very good second hand machine, but I don't think it will purchase anywhere near as nice of a new machine, and won't get you a new American made machine. Can you take your time finding the right machine? Are you comfortable going over a second hand machine to assess it's condition? If so, I would highly recommend looking for a good second hand one.

Where you are located makes a big difference in availability. The ability to go pick one up, the time dedicated to search the adds on a regular basis are pretty necessary as well. The ability to run a 3ph machine will significantly add to what you can get. The more industrial machines are normally 3ph and a lot of hobbyists will avoid these, making them cheaper than the much less capable but single phase machines will bring.
RRRoundhouse

Post by RRRoundhouse »

Just an update. I've been researching the subject and talking with people with some experience yet at this point have no front runners picked out. It does appear that if going new you can get the most of the avilable features. I will continue working on this.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

RRRoundhouse--

I have a Grizzly G0709 14x40 that I like quite a bit.

--Bill
You are what you write.
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

Don,t know if this will help, but here in RSA the availability of quality has become a joke, but that is off point, here the Lathe name of TOS is very highly respected if one is obtainable, I mention it because it may be available in the US under a different name. TOS chucks, if it is the same company are available new in the UK and again I believe well thought of.
Cheers Golfpin
rwhitley

Post by rwhitley »

New to the forum and I was in the same place you are about a year ago. Finally ended up buying a new Acer 14X40 E-Lathe. Really impressed with it. You can google their Web sites. Good luck.
Bob
RRRoundhouse

Post by RRRoundhouse »

I'm starting to lean towards a Jet 1440W with the Newall DP-700 DRO, taper attachment, and collet holder in either 220 1 phase or 3 phase. I've got a 8HP solid state 1 to 3 phase converter and the experts tell me it will run the 2 HP Bridgeport mill J2 and the 3 HP lathe at the same time. I agree since there is only one of me.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Living in Iowa, it is not too long of a trip to IMTS2014, there you will see almost every 14x40 lathe that is manufactured in the world today, along with a host of other tools you never knew existed.

http://www.imts.com/
RRRoundhouse

Post by RRRoundhouse »

Darn, Meig's field would have been useful!
platypus20

Post by platypus20 »

RRRoundhouse wrote:I'm starting to lean towards a Jet 1440W with the Newall DP-700 DRO, taper attachment, and collet holder in either 220 1 phase or 3 phase. I've got a 8HP solid state 1 to 3 phase converter and the experts tell me it will run the 2 HP Bridgeport mill J2 and the 3 HP lathe at the same time. I agree since there is only one of me.

I have a Jet GHB 1440A, 14" x 40" lathe that I'm very happy with.
jack
RRRoundhouse

Post by RRRoundhouse »

Well, for better or worse, I purchased an Eisen 1440 Variable Speed. Received it Friday and am in the unpacking stage, thence the cleaning the grease and cosmoline off of it. As I get it ready to go and powered up I'll report on the experience.