Carboloy 370 C-10

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Carboloy 370 C-10

Post by seal killer »

All--

I need to turn a 2" diameter piece of 1018 down to 1.5". I could use HSS. But, I have a Carboloy 370 C-10 which was in one of the Detroit area machinist chests I received years ago. Could this tool be used appropriately to rough the workpiece down if I set it at an angle?

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Re: Carboloy 370 C-10

Post by Harold_V »

It is my opinion that it can.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold--

I should have also said that it presents a square face to the workpiece and is designed to cut to a shoulder. My plan (tomorrow) is to angle it some convenient amount and present the left corner cutting towards the headstock. There is no radius on the corners and I have no way to create one. But, the appearance of the workpiece is not important, as once I rough it down the carbide bit will be replaced with a radiused HSS bit.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

A sharp corner isn't in your best interest, Bill. You may achieve success by stoning with a green stone, or even better, a diamond stone. A few thou radius would be quite good, preventing edge failure. It will cut as is, however.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold--

I avoided the problem by finding a piece of 1018 close to the desired diameter. I took 0.040" off using HSS and called it good. I'll save that square-faced Carboloy 370 C-10 to use as it was designed.

Thank you for the help.

--Bill
You are what you write.