Painted my lathe !...never again.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jaxian

Painted my lathe !...never again.

Post by Jaxian »

Well, this seemed like a good idea. I was adding a DRO and hydraulic tracer to my lathe and with all the modifications that entailed it was going to end up bare metal and like five different colors. Not to mention the factory color was horrendous as it was.

Well, actually it's not the factory color which was a nice gray as you can see on the lamp in the first photos. Apparently when Tida started selling these out here on the west coast they decided to rebrand them as Samson's (???) and paint them a color that makes dogs vomit from three blocks away. Inspired marketing move there. That combined with trying to make Japanese quality machines and charge accordingly from a market that had no history of quality machine tools and you can see why they went out of business after about a ten year run.

Anyhow, so I decided to paint it. This is a machine I use nearly every day. It's not a collectors item or rare in any way. This ended up being such a PITA that I will probably never do it again unless the machine meets some of those previous qualifications, and even then I will need to be broke or I will pay someone else to do it. I hate doing paint work...on anything. That said here is are the pictures.

I think you only get 5 pictures per post so I will break this up into two posts.

This is it before right before I bought it with the original paint. Ironically with the Duplomatic tracer I would buy months later in the shot on the back of Graziano lathe.
001 Pre purchase pic small.jpg
Just got it home and put in place. Points for anyone who can identify what that color actually is. Like yellow gone bad after a three day bender.
002 First day original paint small.jpg
I had just attached the tracer pattern support arms and realized the lathe looked like hell and maybe I should paint it.
003 Starting prep small.jpg
This is the almost finished view. I don't have the hydraulic lines all hooked up for the tracer yet. But you can get the idea.
004 Front view done small.jpg
Here are some shots from some different angles including all the tracer modifications and DRO stuff. Didn't take any headstock side though. Ah, well.
005 end view done no DRO small.jpg
Other pictures in second post.
Jaxian

Re: Painted my lathe !...never again.

Post by Jaxian »

The rest of the pictures.

This shows the pattern bar and the support rail I had to make for the saddle.
006 rail and pattern area small.jpg
Pattern holder centers in place.
007 rail and pattern area small.jpg
Hydraulic lines in.
008 rail and pattern area small.jpg
009 rail and pattern area small.jpg
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Lots of work, but a fine result. And, that's the same tracer I have, if I ever get around to finishing that project (new fixer-upper property got in the way). Unfortunately mine didn't come with the template supports, so making them is actually what remains for me to finish that project... someday...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I would give that first color a nice paint-company name, like Urine Mist.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I think Steve won that one.

Nice job on the paint. I agree, it's a lot of work. I'm working on a Bridgeport CNC mill and I could not stand the light blue. The color was not too bad, but it looked to be applied with a garden sprayer just after a fresh steam cleaning... The good news is that half the stripping was already complete, but what stuck is being a bear to remove. Just under that is factory paint and buildup, so I want to keep that strong foundation.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Jaxian

Post by Jaxian »

I must admit I was surprised just how much bondo and filler are on most machine tools. I mean really it's like "strip this down to bare metal at your own risk", because if you want it to look smooth and new again you will be doing bodywork on it for a month. I so hate paint and body work that is enough to send me running. This just looked so damn bad, I mean the color wasn't just bad it was offensive.

BTW: Steve, your description of the color is going to be the one I use from now on to tell people what color it used to be. Too funny.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It also resembles pus.
ronm

Post by ronm »

I'm thinking Gang Green.
Lazz
Location: The Warm Arizona Deserts... Phoenix to be precise...

Post by Lazz »

At least yours came out nice lookin....
I did mill that pains me to look at....
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The preferred color is Ebay Blue.
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

Looks good after the paint job. Our tooling department bought 2 12 x 36 lathes back in the late 80s for our "satelite" cribs. I'm pretty sure they were an english brand. The colour was creamish tan, similiar to JET's colour. Most of the equipment that I had been exposed to had been green. I the G & L CNC mill that we got in '81 was grey. The 2 Cincinnati vertical mills up in the m/c shop were blue & gold w/ a bit of a metal flake finish. The gold coloured mill was referred to as "The Golden Goose". The other was just a Cinci.