Emergency shutoff

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Emergency shutoff

Post by earlgo »

Ha! Where do I apply for the safety feature of the month award?

Or maybe I should just give up on rigging things and concentrate on doing it right!

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
JackF

Re: Emergency shutoff

Post by JackF »

I love the KISS principal. :wink: :lol:

Jack.
spro

Post by spro »

Probably no award. I think if it works, it is good. That's one of the latest Atlas's and I think they are all good.
What is the "kiss" Jack ? Unless it is binding, to not rock, the item between centers.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

I understand now----------- stomp on the pedal and tear the switch clean out. :D
SPRO- Kiss= Keep It Simple Stupid, not meaning You are stupid.
spro

Post by spro »

Oh gee thanks..which I know is debatable but we really don't have time. Actually some of those toggels can carry 12 amps at 120volts for a while and were rated at 15 amps. They look the same at the end and fit D or 9/16 hole. Around there. They were very good switches. I have one with. extended bent shaft which is the run cut-off switch of a horizontal bandsaw. The motor is at least 1/2 hp This is the type which has been in discussion recently and the precursor to the Asian ones. It was Dayton and a bit different rag when I bought it. Well worn and I put eccentric bushings to suspend the worm drive and exact every living possibility out of it. It still runs strong. When one area is steel and another bronze...and what was dry before is different.
spro

Post by spro »

Oh yes I know what this means. The ways in which it could have been. Allow me misspeak No there was something different. I can make friends and enemies in one hour . Still the platform is correct and forgiveness is not mentioned. Don't speak and other notions which seem to be from a different gender. Across the mikes and miles baby don't love me, don't.
If I remain miniscule my absence is shared in minute ways . Why ? I can't say "WHY"
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Re: the switch

That is the same switch that came with the machine in 1958. It has never been replaced and has never failed. It toggles on and off a 110v, 4.8a, 1/3hp GE motor, which is probably why it has lasted so long. The catalog says this lathe can use a 1/3 or 1/2 HP motor.

--earlgo

PS. so no award?
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Safety is its own reward. You have made a positive improvement.
spro

Post by spro »

I suppose you noticed a previous reply which had no bearing on the topic. I was surprised to see that here. Consider I sent bearing and pressure information and amperage overload to the wrong place also. If wasn't so funny it would be sad :D
bubby-joe

Post by bubby-joe »

Really like your lathe dog setup, prussic knot is it.
New Lathe user and I hope to never crash my old SB-9A toy,
YEP just stalled it with 2 fingers glad it wasn't a gear drive.
I still have the fingers although bruised and bent the wrong way.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

bubby-joe there is a better picture of the lash-up in the thread 'Lathe Tooling", and my reason for it.

--earlgo