New to Forum 3 jaw chuck troubles

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

gaston

Re: New to Forum 3 jaw chuck troubles

Post by gaston »

I cured a minor run out on a 3 jaw by moving all 3 jaws around the chuck by 1 position ( keep them in order #1,2,3 as they need to go on the scroll in order
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

gaston wrote:I cured a minor run out on a 3 jaw by moving all 3 jaws around the chuck by 1 position ( keep them in order #1,2,3 as they need to go on the scroll in order
Interesting. That would cause the jaws to engage a different part of the scroll at the often-used diameters where the wear would be the most.

Steve
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Actually, that wouldn't generally be the case. It would just be that the scroll would be clocked different. To get the same jaw offset the same difference from the axis, the scroll would necessarily be at the same point. However, if the scroll register (right term? race? bearing surface?) were a tiny bit off, you would see a difference.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BadDog wrote:Actually, that wouldn't generally be the case. It would just be that the scroll would be clocked different. To get the same jaw offset the same difference from the axis, the scroll would necessarily be at the same point. However, if the scroll register (right term? race? bearing surface?) were a tiny bit off, you would see a difference.
Give that man a cigar!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
juiceclone

Post by juiceclone »

Two Cigars
I was getting a headache trying to come up with the variables in that.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

juiceclone wrote:Two Cigars
I was getting a headache trying to come up with the variables in that.
You see the same changes by simply using a different socket when tightening the chuck. The scroll shifts on its mounting point, so the more clearance it has, the greater can be the variations. That's but one of the reasons old chucks don't run well, although they often can be restored to virtual perfection simply by using soft jaws, which require that one use the same socket at all times, otherwise the jaws don't run true.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.